Dirac Delta function as a Fourier transform

In summary: However, the delta function is not actually equal to zero at all, as the integral on the LHS does not even seem to exist, let alone equal zero.
andrewkirk
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
It is fairly easy to demonstrate that the Dirac delta function is the Fourier transform of the plane wave function, and hence that:

[itex]\delta(x)=∫_{-∞}^{∞}e^{ikx}dk[/itex] (eg Tannoudji et al 'Quantum Physics' Vol 1 p101 A-39)

Hence it should be the case that [itex]∫_{-∞}^{∞}e^{ik}dk = \delta(1) = 0[/itex]

However the integral on the LHS does not even seem to exist, let alone equal zero. We can write:

[itex]∫_{-∞}^{∞}e^{ik}dk = ∫_{-∞}^{∞}cos(k)+i sin(k) dk[/itex]

[itex]= ∫_{-∞}^{∞}cos(k)dk+i ∫_{-∞}^{∞}sin(k)dk[/itex]

and neither of these integrals exist.

Yet, based on the Fourier argument, they must both exist and equal zero.

I have probably done something silly to get myself into this contradiction. Can somebody please help me by showing what it is?

Physics news on Phys.org
There are a number of things going on here I don't really understand but chronologically why does delta(1)=0? Also there is nothing trivial about a Dirac delta function, it's always been a trouble maker in terms of rigorous mathematics.

andrewkirk said:
I have probably done something silly to get myself into this contradiction. Can somebody please help me by showing what it is?
It seems you're missing the crucial piece of information that the Dirac delta is not an ordinary function in the usual sense. Rather it's a generalized function known as a "linear functional" or "distribution".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Distribution_(mathematics)

It only makes mathematical sense when integrated with another function, e.g.,
$$
\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\!\! dx f(x) \delta(x-a) ~=~ f(a)
$$

andrewkirk said:
Hence it should be the case that [itex]∫_{-∞}^{∞}e^{ik}dk = \delta(1) = 0[/itex]

Rigorously, the dirac delta function is actually a distribution, not a function. Even still, you can do a bit of 'physics math' by adding a term like -epsilon*k^2 to the exponential in the integral to help it converge, and then limiting it away after the calculation.

That is indeed the Cauchy principle value of the integral, so you can at least make some sense of what you got.

1. What is the Dirac Delta function?

The Dirac Delta function, denoted as δ(x), is a mathematical function that is defined as zero for all values of x except at the origin, where it is infinitely large. It is often referred to as a "distribution" or "generalized function" and is commonly used in physics and engineering to represent point-like sources or idealized impulses.

2. How is the Dirac Delta function represented graphically?

The Dirac Delta function is represented graphically as a spike or impulse at the origin, with a height of infinity and a width of zero. This is because the function is zero everywhere except at x=0, where it is undefined and can be thought of as a limit of very tall and narrow spikes.

3. What is the relationship between the Dirac Delta function and the Fourier transform?

The Dirac Delta function is the Fourier transform of the constant function 1. This means that the integral of the Dirac Delta function multiplied by any other function is equivalent to the value of the original function at the origin. In other words, the Dirac Delta function acts as a "sampling" function in the Fourier domain.

4. Can the Dirac Delta function be used to solve differential equations?

Yes, the Dirac Delta function can be used to solve certain types of differential equations, particularly those involving impulse or point-like sources. It can be used to represent the effect of a sudden or instantaneous change in a system, such as an impact or a step change in a physical quantity.

5. How is the Dirac Delta function related to the Kronecker delta?

The Dirac Delta function and the Kronecker delta are closely related but have different definitions and properties. The Kronecker delta, denoted as δij, is a function of two variables i and j, which takes the value of 1 when i=j and 0 otherwise. It can be thought of as a discrete version of the Dirac Delta function, which is continuous. However, both functions share similar properties, such as being symmetric and having a value of 1 when the variables are equal.