Finding period of revolution of an electron (fairly )?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the period of revolution for an electron in a uniform magnetic field, with given values for charge, mass, and voltage. The summary includes equations for finding the radius of curvature and period of revolution, as well as a possible method for solving for the period. The conclusion is that the correct answer for the period of revolution is approximately 0.0000143156 seconds, and using scientific notation and significant figures can simplify the solution process.
Sean1218
Finding period of revolution of an electron (fairly urgent)?

Homework Statement

A doubly ionized atom (charge = +2e) whose mass is 3.65E-26 kg is accelerated by a voltage of 3950.0 V and enters a region where a uniform magnetic field B = 0.0500 T acts perpendicular to its motion.

a) What is the radius of curvature of the path of the ion in the B-field?

b) What is its period of revolution?

Homework Equations

F=QvB
F=m4pi2r/T2
F=mv2/r

The Attempt at a Solution

I did the first part, the correct answer is 0.601 m.

I've tried a few different methods for b), I won't list them all.

I rearranged the third equation for v, plugged it into the first equation, plugged that into the second equation and rearranged for T.

T=√(4π2m2/(Q2B2))

Solved that for 0.0000143156 s

No idea if this is right or not, but I doubt it because I think I need to use voltages and energies, but that didn't work when I tried it.

Physics news on Phys.org

Your result looks okay for T, but you should use scientific notation to avoid all those leading zeros! Also trim for reasonable significant figures :smile:

If you already had the radius of the circle and speed, you could simply have found the time to travel one circumference :wink:

Yea, I tried that, but kept getting the wrong answer =/ I think the value I listed was right after all, thanks!

1. What is the period of revolution of an electron?

The period of revolution of an electron is the time it takes for an electron to complete one full orbit around the nucleus of an atom.

2. How is the period of revolution of an electron calculated?

The period of revolution of an electron can be calculated using the formula T = 2πr/v, where T is the period, r is the radius of the orbit, and v is the velocity of the electron.

3. What factors affect the period of revolution of an electron?

The period of revolution of an electron can be affected by the strength of the electric field, the mass of the nucleus, and the speed of the electron.

4. Why is the period of revolution of an electron important?

The period of revolution of an electron is important because it helps us understand the behavior and structure of atoms, as well as the nature of the forces that hold them together.

5. Can the period of revolution of an electron be measured experimentally?

Yes, the period of revolution of an electron can be measured experimentally using various techniques such as electron diffraction, spectroscopy, and electron microscopy. These methods allow us to observe the motion of electrons and calculate their period of revolution.