Calculating resistance force parallel to a slope

In summary, the formula for calculating resistance force parallel to a slope is R = mgsinθ, where R is the resistance force, m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and θ is the angle of the slope. The angle of the slope can be determined using a protractor or by measuring the rise and run of the slope and using trigonometric functions to calculate the angle. Yes, the resistance force can be greater than the weight of the object if the slope is steep enough, and friction can increase the resistance force on a slope. However, the resistance force will vary for different objects on a slope based on their mass and the angle of the slope.
laurence_1
1. An 80kg skier is skiing down a 5 degree slope at constant velocity. find

a) the resistance force parallel to the slope.

this should be a really easy question but i just don't know where to start. i have drawn out the vectors for parallel force and perpendicular force but do i not need more information to do the calculations?

Physics news on Phys.org
Remember that he is moving at a *constant* velocity. When is velocity constant?

What is the formula for calculating resistance force parallel to a slope?

The formula for calculating resistance force parallel to a slope is R = mgsinθ, where R is the resistance force, m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and θ is the angle of the slope.

How do I determine the angle of the slope?

The angle of the slope can be determined using a protractor or by measuring the rise and run of the slope and using trigonometric functions to calculate the angle.

Can the resistance force be greater than the weight of the object?

Yes, the resistance force can be greater than the weight of the object if the slope is steep enough. In fact, the resistance force will always be greater than the weight of the object when the slope is at a 90 degree angle.

How does friction affect the resistance force on a slope?

Friction can increase the resistance force on a slope, as it acts in the opposite direction of the object's motion. This means that the steeper the slope and the greater the coefficient of friction, the greater the resistance force will be.

Is the resistance force the same for all objects on a slope?

No, the resistance force will vary depending on the mass and angle of the slope. Heavier objects will experience a greater resistance force, and steeper slopes will also result in a greater resistance force.