Plotting Pressure vs Crankangle Diagram for 4-Cylinder Diesel Engine

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of plotting a cylinder pressure vs crankangle diagram for a 4 cylinder naturally aspirated diesel engine. The question is raised if AVL Boost, a virtual engine simulation tool, is necessary for this task. It is clarified that it is virtually impossible to plot the data by hand due to the speed of data acquisition. The conversation also addresses the use of AVL and the possibility of plotting the data theoretically. It is mentioned that the plot would be approximate to reality and may deviate slightly due to measurement error.
monty37
I want to plot a cylinder pressure vs crankangle diagram for a 4 cylinder naturally aspirated diesle engine ,do I require AVL boost for this ?and how can you plot it manually?

Engineering news on Phys.org

I need to be sure we are speaking the same language here. When you say "AVL," I hear AV List, a maker of precision instruments in Austria; is that what you mean? If not, please clarify.

It is virtually impossible to get a cylinder pressure - crank angle plot for a running engine by hand. You simply cannot record the data fast enough. For a non-running engine, you could acquire the data on a static basis, point-by-point, but once you reach the firing point, with no fuel the pressures are way off; with fuel the engine begins to run, so you cannot keep up with the data.

Typically the data is acquired on one cylinder only, and the other cylinders are assumed to be similar. If you really want to measure all four cylinders, you are looking at a lot more data acquisition equipment.

Tell me more about what you have in mind, and clear up what you mean by AVL, and maybe we can go further with this.

Well I meant AVL BOOST (virtual engine simulation tool) was used to plot the pressure vs crank angle .In my case it is a naturally aspirated four cyl diesel engine ,one of my profs told me I don't have to go for AVL i can plot it theoritically..but I felt it would not be possible as there are 4 cylinders involved where pressure has to be plotted

I am not acquainted with the simulation tool you speak of, so it is a good thing I ask for clarification of that point.

If you know what cylinder pressure is when the valves close, then you can plot the pressure during the compression stroke by simply assuming an adiabatic compression and calculating the necessary pressure points for each crank angle. If you then know the firing pressure, you can assume an adiabatic expansion down to the point where the valves open and thus be able to calculate all of the required points for each crank angle on the power stroke.

The fact that there are four cylinders involved really makes no difference. Ideally, they are all alike, but simply phased differently.

Well I get your point ,If I know the cylinder pressure and firing pressure at a particular crank angle for each cylinder I can plot pressure vs crank angle .

I also seem to have little idea of AVL as i found it being used in a paper though I could not imagine why was it necesary if this plot was possible theoritically.

Is the plot we get calculating manually approximate?

Sure, it is approximate to reality. All theoretical curves are approximations to reality. If you make actual measurements, they will deviate slightly. Then, are you seeing reality, or measurement error?

What is a pressure vs crankangle diagram for a 4-cylinder diesel engine?

A pressure vs crankangle diagram is a graphical representation of the pressure inside the cylinders of a 4-cylinder diesel engine as the crankshaft rotates. It shows the changes in pressure during each stage of the engine's cycle, providing important information about the engine's performance and efficiency.

How is a pressure vs crankangle diagram plotted?

A pressure vs crankangle diagram is plotted by measuring the pressure inside the cylinders at different points during the engine's cycle and then plotting these values on a graph with crankangle (in degrees) on the x-axis and pressure (in bar or psi) on the y-axis. This process is repeated for each cylinder to create a complete diagram.

What information can be obtained from a pressure vs crankangle diagram?

A pressure vs crankangle diagram can provide information about the combustion process, the efficiency of the engine, and the performance of individual cylinders. It can also help identify any issues or irregularities in the engine's operation, such as misfiring or incomplete combustion.

What factors can affect the shape of a pressure vs crankangle diagram?

The shape of a pressure vs crankangle diagram can be influenced by several factors, including the fuel-air mixture, engine temperature, compression ratio, and engine speed. Changes in these factors can result in variations in the pressure levels and timing of the combustion process, which are reflected in the diagram.

Why is a pressure vs crankangle diagram important for diesel engine development?

A pressure vs crankangle diagram is a crucial tool for diesel engine development as it provides valuable insights into the engine's performance and efficiency. It allows engineers to identify areas for improvement and make necessary adjustments to optimize the engine's operation, resulting in better fuel economy, reduced emissions, and improved overall performance.