Modulus of a Sequence: How to Prove Nullness?

• Thread starter rohan03
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sequences
In summary, the method in the textbook for proving that a sequence is null requires showing that for each ε>0, there is an integer N such that the modulus of the sequence is less than ε for all n>N. This can be illustrated by taking the modulus of the given sequence, which is 2/(n+1) for even values of n and 0 for odd values of n. The question also specifies that n=2,3..., so negative values of n can be ignored.
rohan03
I know in general how to prove if sequence is null or not . But here is my confusion
- method in the textbook I am reading - asks that to prove that any sequence is null we must show that for each ε>0, there is an integer N such that modulus of the given sequence is < ε, for all n>N

now I also understand this but my dilema is
taking modulu say for example given sequence is
{(1+(-1)^n)/(n+(-1)^n )}
taking modulus gives:
|(1+(-1)^n)/(n+(-1)^n )| is modulus 2/(n+1) ?

just not sure

Mathematics news on Phys.org
rohan03 said:
I know in general how to prove if sequence is null or not . But here is my confusion
- method in the textbook I am reading - asks that to prove that any sequence is null we must show that for each ε>0, there is an integer N such that modulus of the given sequence is < ε, for all n>N

now I also understand this but my dilema is
taking modulu say for example given sequence is
{(1+(-1)^n)/(n+(-1)^n )}
taking modulus gives:
|(1+(-1)^n)/(n+(-1)^n )| is modulus 2/(n+1) ?

just not sure

[itex]\left|\frac{1+(-1)^n}{n+(-1)^n}\right|=\left\{\begin{array}{cc}0\,&\,if\,\,n\,\,is\,\,odd\\\frac{2}{n+1}\,&\,if\,\,n\,\,is\,\,even\end{array}\right.[/itex] , and of course the seq. begin with [itex]n=2[/itex].

DonAntonio

Ps. Of course, the absolute value has no relevance here...did you notice this?

Yes the question states n=2,3... So I am correct and must ignore negative values of n

1. What is a null sequence?

A null sequence is a sequence of real numbers that converges to 0 as the number of terms increases. In other words, the terms of a null sequence get closer and closer to 0 as the sequence continues.

2. How do you prove a sequence is null?

To prove a sequence is null, you must show that the absolute value of the difference between each term in the sequence and 0 approaches 0 as the number of terms increases. This can be done using the definition of a limit and the properties of absolute value.

3. What is the importance of proving null sequences?

Proving null sequences is important in many areas of mathematics, including calculus and analysis. It allows for the rigorous study of limits and convergence, which are essential concepts in these fields. Additionally, null sequences are often used in the proofs of more complex theorems.

4. Can a sequence be both null and divergent?

No, a sequence cannot be both null and divergent. A null sequence converges to 0, while a divergent sequence does not converge to any value. However, a sequence can be null and oscillating, meaning it alternates between positive and negative values as it approaches 0.

5. Are all convergent sequences null?

No, not all convergent sequences are null. While a null sequence is a type of convergent sequence, there are other types of convergent sequences that converge to values other than 0. For example, the sequence 1/n converges to 0, but the sequence 1/n^2 converges to 0 as well.