Question on Walking: Does Changing Speed Affect Overall Speed?

• Thread starter Choralone
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the question of whether two people walking at the same speed, with one person speeding up and then slowing down, are still considered to be walking at the same speed if the distance between them does not change. One person uses the example of Nascar racing to explain that even though one car may be ahead, they are still going the same speed. The original poster apologizes for any confusion in their wording and welcomes any clarifications or answers to their question.
Choralone
I gather that this forum isn't designed for people who don't study physics, especially those who come to ask relatively simple questions but I am in need of an answer. A friend and I had a debate over walking. Neither of us has much experience in physics, although he seems to have a better understand than I do.

Anyway, the question is if two people are walking at the same speed and then only one person speeds up and then slows down, therefore being ahead of the other person, are they still walking the same speed if the distance between them does not grow? I apologize if the wording leads to misunderstanding; for some reason it is difficult for me to put that into words.

Any answer or reply seeking clarification is appreciated.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
They are going the same speed.

Look at Nascar Racing. One car might be 5 metres ahead, but if you watch the stats they are going the same speed, which explains why they rarely or never pass each until one slows down and/or speeds up.

The answer to your question is no, changing speed does not affect overall speed. Speed is defined as the rate at which an object moves, and it is calculated by dividing the distance traveled by the time it takes to travel that distance. So, even if one person speeds up and then slows down, as long as the distance between them and the other person remains the same, their overall speed remains the same.

However, it is important to note that speed and velocity are not the same thing. Velocity takes into account the direction of motion, so if one person speeds up and changes direction, their velocity will change even if their speed remains the same.

I hope this helps clarify your question and the concept of speed. If you have any further questions, don't hesitate to ask. It's great that you are seeking to understand and learn more about physics. Keep asking questions and seeking knowledge!

1. How does changing speed affect overall speed while walking?

Changing speed while walking can affect overall speed by either increasing or decreasing it. When you walk at a faster speed, your overall speed will increase. On the other hand, walking at a slower speed will result in a decrease in overall speed.

2. Why does changing speed affect overall speed while walking?

This is because walking at a faster speed means that you are taking larger steps and covering more distance in a given amount of time, resulting in a higher overall speed. Similarly, walking at a slower speed means that you are taking smaller steps and covering less distance in the same amount of time, resulting in a lower overall speed.

3. Does changing speed have any impact on the energy expended while walking?

Yes, changing speed can impact the energy expended while walking. Walking at a faster speed requires more energy as you are exerting more force and using more muscles to take larger steps. Walking at a slower speed requires less energy as you are exerting less force and using fewer muscles to take smaller steps.

4. Is it better to maintain a constant speed while walking for overall efficiency?

It depends on the purpose of your walking. If you are walking for exercise, changing speed and incorporating intervals of faster and slower speeds can help improve overall efficiency and calorie burn. However, if you are walking for a specific distance or time, maintaining a consistent speed can help you better estimate your arrival time.

5. Are there any health benefits to changing speed while walking?

Yes, changing speed while walking can have several health benefits. It can help improve cardiovascular fitness, increase muscle strength and endurance, and burn more calories. It can also add variety to your walking routine, making it more enjoyable and preventing boredom.