What Factors Affect the Value of Spring Constant?

In summary, the value of the spring constant for a helical spring depends on the torque required to twist the wire and the rigidity modulus of the wire. It can be approximated by the formula k = \frac{\pi r^4 n}{2 a^2 L}. There is also a component of extension due to the bending of the wire, which is inversely proportional to the Young's modulus. This component is usually smaller than the extension due to wire twisting. These concepts are discussed in books such as 'Properties of Matter' by Champion & Davy and 'The General Properties of Matter' by Newman & Searle.
A Dhingra
hello everyone!

can you please explain on factors the value of spring constant depends?
And please provide me with the required maths to get to that idea..

Thanks..

Physics news on Phys.org
I assume you have in mind a helical spring. The main process involved in stretching such a spring is twisting the wire of which it is made. The torque needed to twist the wire through a given angle is proportional to r4 in which r is the radius of the wire, and is also proportional to the rigidity modulus, n, of the wire. Provided the turns of the spring remain almost at right angles to the longitudinal axis of the spring, then the spring constant is given approximately by
[tex]k = \frac{\pi r^4 n}{2 a^2 L}[/tex]
in which [itex]a[/itex] is the radius of a turn of the spring and [itex]L[/itex] is the length of the wire from which the spring is made.

Hence the springiness of a helical spring is only due to the energy stored as potential due to the application of torque to twist the wire. Is it correct? or there is something more to it?

Thanks a lot..

There is also extension due to the bending of the wire (as the wire is effectively a compacted cantilever). This bending is inversely proportional to the Young's modulus. The geometry of the spring is usually such that this component of extension is smaller than that due to the wire twisting.

Champion & Davy treat springs in their 'Properties of Matter' (no doubt long out of print - it was beginning to look old fashioned in the late 1960s!) No doubt mechanical engineering textbooks would be a good bet.

Thanks a lot.
one more request, i tried looking up for a derivation of this formula on Google but could not find it. Can u suggest me a required link for the same or some book to refer this from.

I know of two 'Properties of matter' books that deal with springs.
'Properties of Matter' by Champion & Davy published by Blackie in the UK.
'The General Properties of Matter' by Newman & Searle published by Arnold in the UK.

These books are (long?) out of print, but they still seem to be available quite cheaply secondhand on the internet.

And, as I said before, I'd guess that springs are still treated in some engineering textbooks.

Last edited:
Ok Thanks a lot...

What is a spring constant?

A spring constant is a measure of the stiffness of a spring. It represents the amount of force required to stretch or compress a spring by a certain distance.

How is spring constant calculated?

Spring constant is calculated by dividing the applied force by the displacement of the spring. It has the unit of newton per meter (N/m) in the metric system.

What factors affect the spring constant?

The spring constant is affected by the material of the spring, the number of coils, the diameter of the wire, and the length of the spring. It also depends on the temperature and the force applied to the spring.

What is the relationship between spring constant and frequency?

Spring constant and frequency are inversely proportional. This means that as the spring constant increases, the frequency decreases and vice versa. This relationship is described by Hooke's Law, which states that the force applied to a spring is directly proportional to its displacement.

Why is the spring constant important?

The spring constant is important in understanding the behavior of springs and designing various mechanical systems. It is used in many applications, such as in shock absorbers, suspension systems, and various types of measuring instruments.