The 9.0 Quake: A personal observation

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Observation
In summary, there have been a rash of meteor-like impact events reported all over the world. One was an accidental sonic boom, one was Sirius (what was the point of that?), and one was likely connected to a meteor shower. None are related to each other, and only one has anything to do with Indonesia.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I just wanted to pass along an observation that may or may not mean anything at all. In case this should happen to make sense to anyone out there I wanted to mention it; just in case... From about Dec 15th through this week, there have been a rash of meteor-like impact events reported all over the world. I posted a few typical news links in the UFO News Thread in the S&D forum. https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?p=432772#post432772

Over twenty years of close scrutiny of reports of unusual atmospheric phenomena, I have never seen anything like it. It's probably just a coincidence but obviously I have no way to know. I couldn't help but wonder if these are really just rocks, and not meteors.

There was also a recent sounding of the Seneca Guns; also somewhat rare.
From an extinct link:
So what's left?One theory batted around was that it could be "Seneca Guns," a folk explanation used to describe unexplained booms often associated with the coast of North Carolina. Such booms have been experienced in North America since before the Age of Flight, some as early as the 18th century.
The latest report:
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=57966&highlight=Seneca

Last edited:
Earth sciences news on Phys.org
I'm not sure what you're trying to say here, Ivan - the post you referenced is all over the place: several are legitimate (and several probable) meteors, one was an accidental sonic boom, one was Sirius (what was the point of that?), one was likely connected to a meteor shower. None are related to each other, none are particularly interesting (except maybe the "Seneca Guns" thing), and only one has anything to do with Indonesia, though that certainly doesn't imply any connection to the earthquake.

What are you saying?

I'm saying that a swarm of unusual reports accompanied the quake; approximately. Like I said, this was only a sample of the the reports from the last month. Whether or not they are, or even could be related, is a point of speculation. They are probably not related. However, just in case this makes sense to someone, like a geologist for example, I wanted to mention it.

I realize that this hints at wild speculation but it was only an observation. One never knows when two seemingly unrelated events might in fact be related. Take for example reports of earthquake lights, which are now seen as possible predictors for large events.
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?p=416970&highlight=earthlights#post416970

Last edited:
edits and comments added.

1. What is a 9.0 quake?

A 9.0 quake, also known as a magnitude 9.0 earthquake, is a very strong earthquake that measures 9.0 on the Richter scale. This scale is used to measure the intensity of earthquakes and a 9.0 quake is considered to be a major earthquake.

2. Where did the 9.0 quake occur?

The 9.0 quake mentioned in the title is a hypothetical scenario and does not refer to a specific earthquake. However, a 9.0 magnitude earthquake did occur in Japan in 2011, causing widespread damage and a devastating tsunami.

3. How does a 9.0 quake affect the environment?

A 9.0 quake can have a significant impact on the environment. It can cause landslides, tsunamis, and other forms of destruction. It can also damage buildings and infrastructure, disrupt ecosystems, and have long-lasting effects on the environment.

4. What are the potential consequences of a 9.0 quake?

The consequences of a 9.0 quake can vary depending on the location and other factors. It can result in loss of life, displacement of communities, destruction of property, and economic impacts. It can also lead to long-term effects on the environment and human health.

5. How can we prepare for a 9.0 quake?

The best way to prepare for a 9.0 quake is to have an emergency plan in place and to be aware of the potential risks in your area. This can include having emergency supplies, securing furniture and objects in your home, and knowing evacuation routes. It is also important to stay informed and follow safety guidelines during and after a quake.