Book Recommendations for Thermodynamics & Optics Learning

In summary: Michael Boles.In summary, the conversation revolved around the request for book recommendations on thermodynamics and optics. The participants discussed various options for both subjects, with suggestions including a concise textbook for optics and a variety of books for thermodynamics, including Planck's treatise and Schroedinger's book. There was also a recommendation to learn the subjects separately and to consider Feynman's lectures or a textbook by Cengel and Boles.
asdff529
Would anyone recommend some books for me to learn about thermodynamics and optics.
I was stuck on choosing books since either of them are too difficult or a little bit simple.
I don't where I should post,I am apologize for any inconvenient cause.

Physics news on Phys.org
For optics, there is a nice textbook at

http://optics.byu.edu/Textbook.aspx

with a good combination of depth and breadth, while still concise (350 pages).

For thermodynamics, it is somewhat more difficult to recommend a single book. My impression is that there are many people who feel experts on thermodynamics and related questions, but they/ or their books stress always something different. You can find two completely different expositions on thermodynamics, reading one making you wonder how could the other be called thermodynamics too. This is probably because the subject is very interesting to many people with different background, and everybody thinks his limited view is the most important part of thermodynamics. Also, much confusion is introduced into thermodynamics by attempts to mix it with statistical physics.

My advice is definitely to read more books on thermodynamics also for the first reading. Do pure thermodynamics in depth first, do not mix it with statistics. For this, Planck's treatise

Treatise on thermodynamics, 3rd ed, Dover 1945

should be good (but I haven't read it yet). Also, a book

Pippard A.B. Elements of classical thermodynamics (CUP, 1966)(600dpi)(T)(174s)_PT_

is short and attracting.

Next, this modern textbook is much used today:

Callen H.B. Thermodynamics And An Introduction To Thermostatistics (2ed., Wiley, 1985)(T)(K)(600dpi)(511s)_PT_rn textbook on thermo is worthwhile, like

There are some interesting things, but it is bit too formalistic for my taste.

Then there is statistical physics, the part in Callen is a good start. Also Schroedinger's little book is quite nice, and short.

I really recommend to learn thermo and statistics separately. Nowadays there is a tendency to teach them together, but this only creates confusion or gives only superficial view of thse difficult subjects.

asdff529 said:
Would anyone recommend some books for me to learn about thermodynamics and optics.
I was stuck on choosing books since either of them are too difficult or a little bit simple.
I don't where I should post,I am apologize for any inconvenient cause.

I might be misunderstanding, but applying thermodynamic principles to optics is typically called 'radiometry'- Wolfe's book is a good introduction:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0819427586/?tag=pfamazon01-20

There's a quite a few under the name of 'nonimaging optics' and solar energy applications, but I don't have any of those to recommend.

Last edited by a moderator:
thx for recommending me such awesome,powerful books .
But I'm just able to read year1 books,since I'm not a university student,i'm just interested in physics
Would you mind to recommend geometrical optics,instead of physical optics?
And i'd like to have thermodynamics and optics teaching materials separately.
I've asked similar question on other forum,they recommended me a book called 'Heat and thermodynamics',Zemansky M.W.,Dittman R.H.
Would it be suitable for me?
All of you give me a lot of useful information after all,thx a lot.

asdff529 said:
thx for recommending me such awesome,powerful books .
But I'm just able to read year1 books,since I'm not a university student,i'm just interested in physics

I am also learning about Physics for enjoyment and have a similar problem. The books written for the public are simplified to uselessness and academic books require intense background.

In that case, I think maybe good intermediate level books for you guys could be Feynman's lectures on physics. They are easily readable and still contain good physics, without oversimplification.

For thermodynamics i recommend you Thermodynamics: An Engineering Approach by Yunus Cengel

1. What are some good introductory books for learning thermodynamics and optics?

For thermodynamics, a popular choice is "Fundamentals of Engineering Thermodynamics" by Michael J. Moran et al. Another recommended book is "Thermodynamics: An Engineering Approach" by Yunus A. Cengel and Michael A. Boles. For optics, "Introduction to Modern Optics" by Grant R. Fowles and "Optics" by Eugene Hecht are commonly used introductory texts.

2. Are there any books specifically geared towards beginners in thermodynamics and optics?

Yes, there are several books that are written specifically for beginners in these subjects. "Thermodynamics For Dummies" by Mike Pauken and "Optics Demystified" by Stan Gibilisco are two popular choices for beginners.

3. What books cover both thermodynamics and optics in one comprehensive text?

"Introduction to Thermal and Fluids Engineering" by Deborah A. Kaminski and Michael K. Jensen covers both thermodynamics and optics, along with other related topics. "Thermodynamics and Introduction to Thermostatistics" by Herbert B. Callen also covers both subjects in one book.

4. Are there any books that focus specifically on applications of thermodynamics and optics?

"Thermodynamics: Principles and Applications" by Stephen R. Turns and "Modern Optical Engineering" by Warren J. Smith are two books that focus on the practical applications of these subjects.

5. Are there any online resources available for learning about thermodynamics and optics?

Yes, there are many online resources available for learning about thermodynamics and optics. Some popular resources include Khan Academy, MIT OpenCourseWare, and Coursera. There are also various YouTube channels and online forums dedicated to discussing these subjects.