Quadratic Equation: Finding Values of 'a' Between 2 and 4 with Only One Root

In summary, the homework statement asks for the value of a such that one root of the equation x2-2ax+a2-1=0 lies between the numbers 2 and 4, and no root is either equal to 2 or equal to 4. The Attempt at a Solution provides a sketch of a graph and three inequalities that are solved to give a possible interval in which the root could lie. The Quadratic Formula simplifies the equation to a function of "a", which allows for the solution to be found by solving for x-a2-1. Finally, the solution is shown to be the combination of the two solutions found previously.
Saitama

Homework Statement

Find all the values of 'a', so that exactly one root of the equation x2-2ax+a2-1=0, lies between the numbers 2 and 4, and no root is either equal to 2 or equal to 4.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Let f(x)=x2-2ax+a2-1
I tried to visualize the question by graph. The graph could have been like this (this is only a rough sketch):-
2qci6hi.jpg

From here, i get three inequalities,
f(2)<0 and f(4)>0 and D>0
Solving these inequalities, i get a can lie in interval (1,3).
But this is not the answer, the answer is (1,5)-{3}.
Then i thought that graph could be also like this:-
kb20d4.jpg

But this gives completely different set of inequalities, now i am completely stuck.

Any help is appreciated. :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Pranav-Arora said:

Homework Statement

Find all the values of 'a', so that exactly one root of the equation x2-2ax+a2-1=0, lies between the numbers 2 and 4, and no root is either equal to 2 or equal to 4.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Let f(x)=x2-2ax+a2-1
I tried to visualize the question by graph. The graph could have been like this (this is only a rough sketch):-
2qci6hi.jpg

From here, i get three inequalities,
f(2)<0 and f(4)>0 and D>0
But this is not the answer, the answer is (1,5)-{3}.
kb20d4.jpg

But this gives completely different set of inequalities, now i am completely stuck.

Any help is appreciated. :)

The quadratic formula simplifies the root to a function of "a", no need to use graphs, I think your right btw (1,5)-{3} is the union of (1,3) and (3,5)

Hey Pranav-Arora! :smile:

Pranav-Arora said:

Aha! You're drawing again. Good! :approve:

Yep.

Not stuck.
This is indeed another set of inequalities that you also have to solve.
The solution is the combination of both solutions.

hqjb said:
The quadratic formula simplifies the root to a function of "a", no need to use graphs, I think your right btw (1,5)-{3} is the union of (1,3) and (3,5)

Oh yes, i knew about it, it will reduce to (x-a)2-1=0 and then we can proceed on the next steps. Thanks for the reply! :)

Hello ILS! :smile:

The one who always helps me said:
Aha! You're drawing again. Good! :approve:
Thanks. :blushing:

I Like Serena said:
Not stuck.
This is indeed another set of inequalities that you also have to solve.
The solution is the combination of both solutions.
Now i understand it. Thanks once again! :smile:

find the square and solve :D

1. What is a quadratic equation?

A quadratic equation is a second-degree polynomial equation in one variable, represented in the form ax^2 + bx + c = 0, where a, b, and c are constants and x is the variable.

2. How do I solve a quadratic equation?

There are several methods for solving a quadratic equation, including factoring, completing the square, and using the quadratic formula. The method you choose will depend on the specific equation and your personal preference.

3. What is the quadratic formula?

The quadratic formula is a formula used to solve any quadratic equation. It is written as x = (-b ± √(b^2 - 4ac)) / 2a. This formula can be derived by completing the square on the general form of a quadratic equation.

4. Can a quadratic equation have more than two solutions?

No, a quadratic equation can only have a maximum of two solutions. This is because a quadratic equation is a second-degree polynomial, which means it can have a maximum of two real roots. However, it is possible for a quadratic equation to have no real solutions.

5. How are quadratic equations used in real life?

Quadratic equations have many real-life applications, such as in physics, engineering, and finance. For example, they can be used to model the trajectory of a projectile, determine the maximum profit for a business, or calculate the dimensions of a building. They are also commonly used in quadratic regression analysis to fit a curve to a set of data points.