The covariant derivative of a contravariant vector

In summary, the conversation is about the covariant derivative of a contravariant vector. The speaker shares an equation for differentiating the determinant of a matrix and explains the use of the column-semicolumn notation. They also mention the rule for covariant divergence and the definition of 2-nd rank Christoffel symbols. The speaker suggests using these concepts to solve a problem and asks for clarification on the three terms involved.
tennishaha
Since there are some equations in my question. I write my question in the following attachment. It is about the covariant derivative of a contravariant vector.

Thank you so much!

Attachments

• The covariant derivative of a contravariant vector is.doc
    34.5 KB · Views: 448
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Can anyone give me some guidance?
Thanks

Okay.
1.Those Gamma's components are not zero...Not in the general case,anyway...

2.I'll use the column-semicolumn notation (though we physicst are not really fond of it...)
In the following,"g" is the determinant of the metric tensor:
[tex] g_{,i}=g \ g^{kl} g_{kl,i} [/tex] (1)
(1):This is the rule as how to differentiate the determinant of a matrix...

[tex] A^{i}_{;i}=A^{i}_{,i}+\Gamma^{i} \ _{ij}A^{j} [/tex](2)

(2):The covariant divergence (the one u're interested in).

[tex] \Gamma^{i} \ _{ij} =\frac{1}{2}g^{ki}(g_{kj,i}+g_{ik,j}-g_{ji,k})
=\frac{1}{2}g^{ki}g_{ki,j}=\frac{1}{2g}g_{,j} [/tex] (3)

In getting (3) I made use of the definition of 2-nd rank Christoffel symbols (mannifold with both connection & metric) and of relation (1).

Use (3) and (2) and the fact that:
[tex] g=(\sqrt{g})^{2} [/tex] (4)

to get your result.

Report any problems...

Daniel.

Last edited:
Thank you for your reply.
But from your result (3), there should be 3 terms in the following equation's second part of right hand side.
[tex] A^{i}_{;i}=A^{i}_{,i}+\Gamma^{i} \ _{ij}A^{j} [/tex]
Then the result is not the same with my results.

What 3 terms are u talking about??The ones in the definition of Christoffel's symbols...??

Daniel.

What is the covariant derivative of a contravariant vector?

The covariant derivative of a contravariant vector is a mathematical operation used in differential geometry to describe how a vector field changes as one moves along a curve on a curved surface. It takes into account both the intrinsic curvature of the surface and the direction of movement along the curve.

How is the covariant derivative of a contravariant vector different from the ordinary derivative?

The covariant derivative takes into account the curvature of the surface, while the ordinary derivative only considers the flat Euclidean space. In other words, the covariant derivative is a generalization of the ordinary derivative to curved spaces.

What is the formula for calculating the covariant derivative of a contravariant vector?

The formula for the covariant derivative of a contravariant vector is given by:
vX = (∂X/∂ui)vi + ΓijkXjvk
where ∇vX represents the covariant derivative, ∂X/∂ui is the partial derivative of X with respect to the coordinates, vi is the vector along which the derivative is taken, and Γijk are the Christoffel symbols of the second kind.

What are the practical applications of the covariant derivative of a contravariant vector?

The covariant derivative is used in various fields such as general relativity, differential geometry, and fluid mechanics. It is essential in understanding the behavior of particles and fluids on curved surfaces and in curved spacetime.

Are there any other important properties of the covariant derivative of a contravariant vector?

Yes, there are several important properties of the covariant derivative. Some of them include the product rule, Leibniz rule, and the chain rule. It also satisfies the property of being a linear operator and is invariant under coordinate transformations.