Question on Electron Configuration

In summary: Hence, the electron configuration for Ti+2 is [Ar]3d2 where the 2 outermost electrons are removed from the 4s sub-shell to achieve a more stable configuration.In summary, the electron configuration for Ti+2 is [Ar]3d2 where the 2 outermost electrons are removed from the 4s sub-shell to achieve a more stable configuration.
τheory

Homework Statement

What is the electron configuration for Ti+2? The answer to this question, from my homework, is [Ar]3d2, but I am not able to figure out why.

2. The attempt at a solution
I originally thought the configuration was:
Ti+2 = [Ar]4s2

and not:
Ti+2 = [Ar]3d2

My reasoning was that if titanium itself, neutrally, is [Ar]4s23d2, then wouldn't, in this cation, taking away 2 electrons be more stable from the 3d sub-shell rather than the 4s sub-shell?

Taking from the 4s sub-shell would leave 2 unpaired electrons in the 3d sub-shell, while taking from the 3d subshell would leave a complete electron pair in the 4s sub-shell, meaning more stability? Or is this thinking invalid?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
τheory said:

Homework Statement

What is the electron configuration for Ti+2? The answer to this question, from my homework, is [Ar]3d2, but I am not able to figure out why.

2. The attempt at a solution
I originally thought the configuration was:
Ti+2 = [Ar]4s2

and not:
Ti+2 = [Ar]3d2

My reasoning was that if titanium itself, neutrally, is [Ar]4s23d2, then wouldn't, in this cation, taking away 2 electrons be more stable from the 3d sub-shell rather than the 4s sub-shell?

Taking from the 4s sub-shell would leave 2 unpaired electrons in the 3d sub-shell, while taking from the 3d subshell would leave a complete electron pair in the 4s sub-shell, meaning more stability? Or is this thinking invalid?

Even though 3d comes after 4s in order of filling the sub-shells, 4s has the higher energy level since n=4, and electron almost always comes out from the outermost energy shell.

1. What is electron configuration?

Electron configuration refers to the arrangement of electrons within an atom or molecule. It describes how electrons are distributed among the various energy levels and orbitals around an atom's nucleus.

2. Why is electron configuration important?

Electron configuration is important because it determines an atom's chemical and physical properties. It also plays a role in predicting an atom's reactivity and its ability to bond with other atoms.

3. How do you write electron configuration?

Electron configuration is typically written using the following format: [noble gas] + [core electrons] + [valence electrons]. The noble gas represents the nearest previous noble gas element, and the core electrons are the electrons in the inner energy levels. The valence electrons are the electrons in the outermost energy level.

4. What is the Aufbau principle?

The Aufbau principle is a rule that states that electrons fill the lowest energy levels and orbitals first before filling higher energy levels. This principle is used to determine the order in which electrons are filled in an atom's electron configuration.

5. What are valence electrons?

Valence electrons are the electrons in the outermost energy level of an atom. These electrons determine an atom's reactivity and how it will bond with other atoms to form molecules.