No engineering background, want to self-study medical engineering. Tips?

In summary, the speaker has a physics and medical physics background with no engineering experience. They have knowledge in medical technology and an interest in self-studying medical engineering. They have three specific questions about recommended texts and advice for their self-study. The person they are speaking with has a BS in EE and may be able to help with medical imaging and instrument design. The speaker also asks about certification requirements for the field of medical engineering.
EricVT
I have a physics and medical physics background with no engineering coursework or work experience to speak of. I have some knowledge of the design and function of various medical technologies, mostly pertaining to radiation oncology and radiology, acquired through my job as a medical physicist. I have a knowledge foundation for biology, chemistry, programming, anatomy, physiology, and statistics.

I have an interest in self-studying medical engineering from a mixed general interest and technical perspective, and have the following questions:

1. Are there general engineering texts that I should familiarize myself with prior to the medical engineering self-study?

2. Are there medical engineering texts that anyone would recommend for my purpose?

3. Any other advice?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure about your definition of medical engineering. I have a BS in EE, and in my college medical engineering is mainly about medical imaging and medical instrument design. If this is where your interests are, I may be able to help you, because EE and medical imaging has a lot in common.

Hey EricVT.

Just out of curiosity, does the medical engineering field you are interested in require certification of any kind, including accredited university study or a non-university pathway for certification?

I think answering this will help you answer your own question.

What is medical engineering?

Medical engineering is a branch of engineering that combines principles from both medicine and engineering to develop technologies and devices that improve healthcare and medical procedures. It involves applying engineering principles to solve problems in the medical field, such as designing medical equipment, developing new techniques for diagnosis and treatment, and improving healthcare delivery systems.

Do I need an engineering background to study medical engineering?

While having an engineering background can be beneficial, it is not always necessary to study medical engineering. Many universities offer undergraduate and graduate programs in medical engineering that accept students from a variety of backgrounds, including biology, chemistry, physics, and computer science. It is important to have a strong understanding of math and science, as well as a passion for both engineering and medicine.

What are some tips for self-studying medical engineering?

1. Start by researching the field and familiarizing yourself with the different areas of medical engineering.2. Utilize online resources such as textbooks, video lectures, and online courses.3. Network with professionals and students in the field to gain insights and advice.4. Practice problem-solving and critical thinking skills by solving medical engineering challenges.5. Consider enrolling in a short-term certificate program or attending workshops to gain hands-on experience and learn from experts.

What are some important skills for a career in medical engineering?

Some important skills for a career in medical engineering include strong analytical and problem-solving abilities, attention to detail, creativity, and the ability to work in a team. Additionally, knowledge of medical terminology and regulatory guidelines is essential, as well as proficiency in computer-aided design (CAD) software and other technical tools.

What are the job prospects for medical engineering graduates?

The job prospects for medical engineering graduates are very promising. With advancements in technology and an aging population, the demand for medical engineers is expected to grow. Graduates can find employment in various industries, including medical device companies, hospitals, research institutions, and government agencies. Some common job roles include biomedical engineer, medical equipment designer, research scientist, and quality assurance engineer.