A2 Level - Is quark flavour consereved

• Thread starter jsmith613
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Quark
In summary, The conservation of quark number is well-established, but the conservation of quark flavour is not as clear-cut. While interactions involving W bosons do change the flavour of a quark, the overall number of quarks remains the same. However, there are situations, such as beta decay, where the conservation of quark flavour may not hold true.
jsmith613
I am studying A2 physics so don't know alot...my question is simple...is quark flavour conserved...I know quark number if conserved (because baryon number is consereved) but am not so sure about flavour...I have seen situations where it appears it is but then during beta-minus decay it appears not...simply (yes or no) is quark flavour conserevd?

Physics news on Phys.org
No. Interactions involving W bosons (including beta decay) change a quark of one flavor into a quark of a different flavor.

The_Duck said:
No. Interactions involving W bosons (including beta decay) change a quark of one flavor into a quark of a different flavor.

ok but I am correct in thinking quark NUMBER is consereved, right?

Yes.

The_Duck said:
Yes.

:) thanks

1. What is A2 Level and how does it relate to quark flavour conservation?

A2 Level is a level of education in the United Kingdom that is typically taken by students at the age of 17-18. In physics, one of the topics covered at A2 Level is particle physics, which includes the concept of quark flavour conservation.

2. What is quark flavour conservation and why is it important?

Quark flavour conservation is a fundamental principle in particle physics that states that the total number of each type of quark (up, down, charm, strange, top, and bottom) must remain constant in all particle interactions. It is important because it helps explain the stability of matter and the behavior of subatomic particles.

3. How is quark flavour conservation observed and measured?

Quark flavour conservation is observed and measured through experiments such as colliding protons and antiprotons at high energies in particle accelerators. By analyzing the resulting particles and their properties, scientists can determine if quark flavour conservation is being obeyed.

4. Are there any exceptions to quark flavour conservation?

There are rare instances where quark flavour conservation may appear to be violated, but these are typically due to experimental errors or misinterpretation of data. The principle has been consistently validated by numerous experiments and is considered to be a fundamental law of nature.

5. How does quark flavour conservation impact our understanding of the universe?

Quark flavour conservation is a crucial component of the Standard Model of particle physics, which is the most comprehensive theory we have for understanding the behavior of particles and their interactions. Without this principle, our understanding of the universe would be incomplete and many phenomena would not be able to be explained.