Physics BS with a Math Minor. Second Minor?

In summary, the individual is considering applying for a Master's degree in physics and is unsure about their future career path. They are considering adding a minor in computer science to make themselves more marketable, but others have suggested that a minor in engineering or computer science may have been a better choice for their career prospects. They are seeking opinions on their situation.
mateomy
Hey people,

I have 4 quarters left to finish my physics undergrad degree. I am planning on applying to a graduate program, probably just for a Master's. The thing is I'm not exactly sure what I want to do once I go "into the real world." I've decided on a Master's to at least have a foot up if I go into an industry related job. However, I was reading some other posts in this forum and from what it sounds like I'd be in better shape if I had a "marketable" skill like engineering or computer science. I'm taking an Analysis class this summer that will finalize me having a Minor in Math but I was also thinking about attempting a Comp. Sci. minor as well to have something that people could see as useful. What are some of your opinions on this? ...or did I shoot myself in the foot for getting a physics degree as opposed to an Engineering or Comp. Sci.?

Physics news on Phys.org
mateomy said:
Hey people,

I have 4 quarters left to finish my physics undergrad degree. I am planning on applying to a graduate program, probably just for a Master's. The thing is I'm not exactly sure what I want to do once I go "into the real world." I've decided on a Master's to at least have a foot up if I go into an industry related job. However, I was reading some other posts in this forum and from what it sounds like I'd be in better shape if I had a "marketable" skill like engineering or computer science. I'm taking an Analysis class this summer that will finalize me having a Minor in Math but I was also thinking about attempting a Comp. Sci. minor as well to have something that people could see as useful. What are some of your opinions on this? ...or did I shoot myself in the foot for getting a physics degree as opposed to an Engineering or Comp. Sci.?

Just to clarify, what are you applying for a Masters degree in? Knowing this will affect any recommendation I can provide on whether a second minor would be useful.

For example, if you were planning on pursuing a Master's degree in computer science or applied math (especially if you intend to focus on, say, numerical analysis or scientific computing), then a second minor in computer science could be quite useful.

Otherwise, if you are simply looking at applying for work in programming, software or IT jobs, a minor in computer science wouldn't hurt you, but it may not be all that helpful -- it may be more beneficial for you to study programming on your own (or take a few introductory or intermediate level programming courses), and develop a portfolio of personal projects you have developed which you can provide to a prospective employer.

What is a "Physics BS with a Math Minor. Second Minor"?

A "Physics BS with a Math Minor. Second Minor" is an undergraduate degree program that combines the study of physics and mathematics. It is typically a four-year program that prepares students for careers in fields such as research, engineering, and education.

What are the requirements for this degree program?

The specific requirements for this degree program may vary depending on the institution, but in general, students will need to complete a certain number of credit hours in physics and math courses, as well as fulfill any other general education requirements. Some programs may also require students to complete a research project or internship.

What are the benefits of pursuing this degree program?

Pursuing a "Physics BS with a Math Minor. Second Minor" can provide students with a well-rounded education in both physics and mathematics, allowing them to develop strong analytical and problem-solving skills. This degree combination can also open up a variety of career opportunities in fields that require a strong understanding of both subjects.

Can I pursue a graduate degree with this undergraduate degree?

Yes, many students who complete a "Physics BS with a Math Minor. Second Minor" go on to pursue advanced degrees in fields such as physics, astronomy, engineering, or mathematics. This undergraduate degree can provide a strong foundation for further academic and research pursuits.

What career paths are available with this degree?

Graduates with a "Physics BS with a Math Minor. Second Minor" can pursue careers in a variety of fields, including research, engineering, data analysis, education, and more. Some specific job titles may include physicist, data analyst, research scientist, or high school math or physics teacher.