Yet another radiation question

• Thread starter anonymous299792458
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Radiation
In summary, the conversation discusses the emission of electromagnetic radiation by a charged object undergoing constant acceleration. While there is a radiation reaction force that depends on the third and higher derivatives of position with respect to time, this force is 0. Despite this, it is an experimental fact that an accelerated charge will still radiate. The speaker has been unable to find an explanation for this phenomenon, but believes that the charged object will emit radiation regardless.
anonymous299792458
If the acceleration of the charge is constant, it radiates. However, the radiation reaction force, which depends only on the third and higher derivatives of x with respect to t, is 0. How is this explained? Didn't Feynman say that, in fact, in the case of constand acceleration, there's NO radiation? I have also read that it is an experimental fact that an accelerated charge radiates, even if the acceleration is constant. This question has been really bugging me for many months. I still haven't been able to find the answer. SO WHAT'S THE DEAL HERE??

Science news on Phys.org
I think you will find that a charged object undergoing constant acceleration will emit electromagnetic radiation. I don't remember Feynman saying otherwise :eek:) Which wouldn't matter anyway.

The issue of radiation from an accelerated charge is a complex and ongoing topic in physics. While it is true that according to classical electrodynamics, a charge that undergoes constant acceleration does not radiate, this is not the full picture. In reality, the situation is more nuanced and involves the interplay of various factors such as the nature of the charge, the medium it is moving through, and the specific conditions of the acceleration.

Firstly, it is important to note that the concept of radiation reaction force, which is often used to explain why an accelerated charge should radiate, is a theoretical construct and does not necessarily have a direct physical manifestation. As such, its value of 0 in the case of constant acceleration does not necessarily mean that there is no radiation.

Furthermore, while Feynman did state that there is no radiation in the case of constant acceleration, this was in the context of a single point charge moving in a vacuum. In reality, most charges are not point charges and are surrounded by a cloud of other particles, which can lead to radiation even in the case of constant acceleration.

Additionally, experimental evidence has shown that an accelerated charge does indeed radiate, even if the acceleration is constant. This can be explained by taking into account the effects of quantum mechanics, which can lead to radiation even in the absence of classical radiation reaction forces.

In summary, the issue of radiation from an accelerated charge is a complex one, and while classical electrodynamics may suggest that there is no radiation in the case of constant acceleration, other factors such as quantum effects and the nature of the charge can lead to radiation in practice. It is an ongoing area of research and there is still much to be understood about this phenomenon.

1. What is radiation?

Radiation is the release of energy in the form of waves or particles. It can come from natural sources, such as the sun, or man-made sources, such as X-rays or nuclear power plants.

2. Is radiation dangerous?

The level of danger from radiation depends on the amount and type of radiation exposure. Low levels of radiation are present in our daily lives and are generally not harmful. However, high levels of exposure can cause damage to cells and tissues, leading to health problems.

3. How can I protect myself from radiation?

There are several ways to protect yourself from radiation exposure. These include limiting your time near sources of radiation, using protective equipment like lead aprons during medical procedures, and following safety protocols in areas with higher levels of radiation, such as nuclear power plants.

4. Can radiation cause cancer?

High levels of radiation exposure can damage DNA and increase the risk of developing certain types of cancer. However, the risk of developing cancer from low levels of radiation exposure is very small.

5. What should I do if I am exposed to radiation?

If you are exposed to high levels of radiation, seek medical attention immediately. Your doctor may recommend treatments to reduce the effects of radiation exposure. It is also important to follow safety protocols to prevent further exposure and limit the spread of contamination.