Regaining surface finishing after hardening stainless steel

In summary, heat-treating stainless steel can result in surface discolouration and scratches. If this is a problem, grinding or sanding can fix it, and polish can bring the finish back to its original shine.
bamek
Hi!

We are going to machine some stainless steel parts that will require hardening afterwards.
The parts are going to be hardened in an oven at 600 degrees celcius for 4 hours and then air cooled. This procedure is given in the suppliers data sheet.

Because I'm new in the game of hardening stainless steel, I wonder how the surface finish will turn out? And -if it turns out bad, how can we regain it? I was thinking about treating it with some kind of acid, but i don't know if it will work.

Best Regards
Daniel

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF, Bamek.
I have no experience with this, but the only downside that I can think of from your heat-treatment might be a bit of surface discolouration from contaminants in the atmosphere. If that's correct, then a very light surface grinding or even maybe power sanding should eliminate it. Polishing compound on a buffer wheel might bring the original smoothness back, if the scratches aren't too deep.
All that I can say for sure from personal experience is that SS is a total ******* *** **** ***** to work with.
When I designed and built modifications to the normal locking devices for the '88 Winter Olympics athletes' village, I made the very serious mistake of ordering the 16# stainless backing plates for the deadbolts from the machine shop with the holes for the deadbolts themselves, but neglected to get the smaller corner holes for the mounting screws. I probably spent more on drill bits than I earned from the job. :frown:

Last edited:
In part, the resulting finish is a function of the type of original finish. For example, a brushed finish has more surface irregularities (surface area) than a polished finish for oxygen and trace contaminants to react with. Newly acid-washed surfaces have less existing oxidation than does old stock.

The oxidation on SS is not super evident, and resists further oxidation, which is why we call it stainless.

The manufacturer can certainly tell you what the side effects of hardening will be.

1. How does hardening affect the surface finish of stainless steel?

Hardening stainless steel can significantly alter the surface finish by causing it to become rough, dull, or discolored due to changes in the microstructure of the metal.

2. Is it possible to regain the original surface finish after hardening stainless steel?

Yes, it is possible to regain the original surface finish through various techniques such as grinding, polishing, and electropolishing. However, the success of these methods depends on the severity of the surface damage and the type of stainless steel.

3. What is the best method for regaining surface finishing after hardening stainless steel?

The best method for regaining surface finishing after hardening stainless steel depends on the specific needs and requirements of the application. Grinding is typically used for removing large amounts of material, while polishing and electropolishing are better for achieving a smooth and shiny surface.

4. Can the surface finish of stainless steel be improved after hardening?

Yes, the surface finish of stainless steel can be improved after hardening through various techniques such as mechanical polishing, chemical polishing, and shot blasting. These methods can help to remove any imperfections and achieve a smoother and more consistent surface.

5. Are there any limitations or risks associated with regaining surface finishing after hardening stainless steel?

There are some limitations and risks to consider when regaining surface finishing after hardening stainless steel. Overgrinding or excessive polishing can result in material loss and affect the integrity of the metal. Additionally, some methods may not be suitable for certain types of stainless steel or may require specialized equipment and expertise.