How to know if a system is dissipative?

• Thread starter dominicfhk
  • Start date
  • Tags
    System
In summary, The problem discusses a linear system described by a second-order differential equation with an input function, and the task is to determine if the system is dissipative. The author solves the differential equation by finding the roots of its characteristic equation and obtaining a general solution. They then question how to compare the solution to the differential equation with the input function to determine if the system is dissipative. After considering taking the limit as t approaches infinity, the author concludes that the system is dissipative.
dominicfhk
Hi guys. I got stuck in this problem and I am wondering anyone can help.

Homework Statement

For the the linear system describe by d^2/dt^2 y(t) + (5)d/dt y(t) + (6)y(t) = f(t),
where f(t) is the input to the linear system, and the solution to the differential equation is the response of the system. Determine if the system is dissipative.

Homework Equations

None I guess.

The Attempt at a Solution

I solve for the 2nd order differential equation by looking for the roots of its characteristic equation, y^2+5y+6=0, and got (y+2)(y+3)=0, so the roots are -2 and -3 and the general solution to the differential equation is y(t)=-2(C1)e^-2t-3(C2)e^-3t, and this express is defined as the response of the linear system, according to the problem statement. Then I am not sure how to proceed.

I assume a dissipative system means that the input is always bigger than the output? How am I suppose to compare "-2(C1)e^-2t-3(C2)e^-3t" against "d^2/dt^2 y(t) + (5)d/dt y(t) + (6)y(t)"? I can't find any similar example online. Any input will be appreciated!

Edit:
Or do I take the limit of -2(C1)e^-2t-3(C2)e^-3t as t approaches infinity? Then I will get zero so I say the system is dissipative? Thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
dominicfhk said:
Hi guys. I got stuck in this problem and I am wondering anyone can help.

Or do I take the limit of -2(C1)e^-2t-3(C2)e^-3t as t approaches infinity? Then I will get zero so I say the system is dissipative? Thanks!

Yeah, that's the one.

1. What is dissipative system?

A dissipative system is a type of system in which energy is continually lost due to friction, heat, or other forms of energy dissipation. This results in the gradual decay or loss of energy within the system.

2. How can I tell if a system is dissipative?

One way to determine if a system is dissipative is to observe if there is a decrease in energy over time. This can be seen through the gradual slowing down or stopping of movement within the system.

3. What are some examples of dissipative systems?

Some common examples of dissipative systems include a swinging pendulum, electric circuits, and the flow of fluids through pipes. In these systems, energy is continually lost due to friction, resistance, and other forms of energy dissipation.

4. How does energy dissipation affect a system?

Energy dissipation can have a significant impact on a system. It can cause the system to eventually come to a stop, resulting in a loss of function or usefulness. In some cases, it can also lead to instability or chaotic behavior within the system.

5. Can a dissipative system be made non-dissipative?

In theory, it is possible to make a dissipative system non-dissipative by minimizing friction and other forms of energy dissipation. However, in practice, achieving complete non-dissipation is nearly impossible. There will always be some level of energy loss within a system due to various factors.