Finding voltage and current expressions (capacitance)

The equation for voltage is v(t) = q(t)/C, where C is the capacitance in farads. In this case, C = 2 microfarads or 2x10^-6 farads. Therefore, the expression for voltage is v(t) = (10^-6 sin(10^5t))/(2x10^-6) = 0.5sin(10^5t) C. Similarly, the expression for current is i(t) = dq/dt = (d/dt)(10^-6 sin(10^5t)) = 10^-6(10^5cos(10^5t)) = 0.1cos(10^5t) A. In summary,
appleraja

Homework Statement

The charge on a 2-microfarad capacitor is given by q(t)=10^-6 * sin(10^5*t) C find the dexpression for the voltage and current?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

the answer is v(t)=0.5sin(10^5t) , i(t)=0.1cos(10^5t) i don't get how they found the answer

Physics news on Phys.org
Note that q = Cv and i = [itex]\frac{dq}{dt}[/itex].

what I am confused is when they say, charge is microfarad does that mean q=2x10^-6 or is the capacitor 2 microfarad meaning c=2x10^-6

appleraja said:
what I am confused is when they say, charge is microfarad does that mean q=2x10^-6 or is the capacitor 2 microfarad meaning c=2x10^-6

Capacitance is given in farads (microfarads in this case), while charge is given in coulombs (C).

As a scientist, it is important to understand the concepts and equations that govern electrical circuits and components. In this case, the capacitor is a key component and its behavior is described by the relationship between charge, voltage, and current.

The given charge expression, q(t)=10^-6 * sin(10^5*t) C, represents the charge on the capacitor as a function of time. To find the voltage and current expressions, we can use the equations q=CV and i=dq/dt, where C is the capacitance and i is the current.

Substituting the given charge expression into the first equation, we get q(t)=CV, which can be rearranged to V=q(t)/C. Since the capacitance is given as 2 microfarads, or 2*10^-6 farads, the voltage expression becomes V(t)=q(t)/(2*10^-6).

Next, we can use the second equation, i=dq/dt, to find the current expression. Taking the derivative of the given charge expression, we get dq/dt=10^5*cos(10^5*t). Substituting this into the equation for current, i=dq/dt, we get i(t)=10^5*cos(10^5*t). However, this expression is in terms of microamps (10^-6 amps), so we need to multiply it by 10^-6 to get the final current expression: i(t)=10^-6 * 10^5*cos(10^5*t) = 0.1*cos(10^5*t).

By understanding the concepts and equations that govern capacitor behavior, we can easily find the voltage and current expressions for this circuit. It is important to always check the units and make sure they are consistent in our calculations.

1. What is capacitance and how is it related to voltage and current?

Capacitance is a measure of a component's ability to store electrical charge. It is directly proportional to the voltage applied across the component and inversely proportional to the current flowing through it. This means that as the voltage increases, the capacitance also increases, while the current decreases.

2. How do I find the voltage expression for a capacitor?

The voltage expression for a capacitor can be found using the equation V = Q/C, where V is the voltage, Q is the charge stored on the capacitor, and C is the capacitance. This equation shows that the voltage across a capacitor is directly proportional to the charge stored on it and inversely proportional to its capacitance.

3. How do I find the current expression for a capacitor?

The current expression for a capacitor can be found using the equation I = C(dV/dt), where I is the current, C is the capacitance, and dV/dt is the rate of change of voltage with respect to time. This equation shows that the current flowing through a capacitor is directly proportional to its capacitance and the rate at which the voltage across it changes.

4. What factors affect the capacitance of a component?

The capacitance of a component is affected by several factors, such as the distance between the conducting plates, the area of the plates, and the type of dielectric material between the plates. Generally, a larger distance between the plates and a larger area of the plates will result in a higher capacitance, while a higher dielectric constant of the material will also increase the capacitance.

5. How can I use the voltage and current expressions to analyze a circuit with capacitors?

To analyze a circuit with capacitors, you can use the voltage and current expressions to determine the relationships between the voltage, current, and capacitance of each component. By applying Kirchhoff's laws and solving for the unknown variables, you can determine the behavior of the circuit and how the capacitors affect the flow of current and voltage throughout the circuit.