State Variable Method (Circuit Analysis)

In summary, in this conversation, the speaker is seeking help with a circuit analysis problem and shares their attempt at a solution. They ask for clarification on the required knowledge for the class and the responder explains that it is more about problem solving techniques rather than pure physics. They also mention that they are not from the USA.
Fiddle

Homework Statement

http://img12.imageshack.us/img12/1176/img20120713190506.jpg

Homework Equations

V[itex]_{C}[/itex]' = dv/dt
I[itex]_{L}[/itex]' = di/dt

The Attempt at a Solution

I did KCL at the centre node:

I[itex]_{L}[/itex] + i[itex]_{2}[/itex] = [itex]\frac{V_{C}'}{5}[/itex]
(Vc'/5 is basically the current coming from the capacitor line to the centre node (from equation ic = Cdv/dt)

Re-arranging you get i2 = [itex]\frac{V_{C}'}{5}[/itex] - I[itex]_{L}[/itex]

I then look at the inductor voltage next, basically the inductor voltage is the voltage across the 10ohm resistor at the top minus the voltage across the capacitor, so:

V[itex]_{L}[/itex] = 10i[itex]_{1}[/itex] - V[itex]_{C}[/itex]

Now I substitute this into the standard equation for an inductor:

I[itex]_{L}[/itex]' = [itex]\frac{V_{L}}{L}[/itex]

Which gives us 10i[itex]_{1}[/itex] - V[itex]_{C}[/itex] = 2.5I[itex]_{L}[/itex]'

or i[itex]_{1}[/itex] = [itex]\frac{I_{L}'}{4}[/itex] + [itex]\frac{V_{C}}{10}[/itex]

Altogether now in state-space representation:

http://img824.imageshack.us/img824/3282/img20120713191406.jpg

I'm not sure I've done this correctly because there is no Ia (Current source) or Va(voltage source) from the circuit diagram involved, also I'm not sure if my final expression in matrix form is correct.

Any help is appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I got this class this fall and I'm starting to get rather scared. How much physics 2 did you need for this class?

Physics 2? I'm not sure what that is. I'm not in the USA.

You don't really need much pure physics for circuit analysis, it's all about employing the various methodologies taught, it's more like an algorithm for problem solving rather than "physics".

Okay that's what someone else said too. Hopefully someone can help you with this problem!

Anyone got any idea??

What is the State Variable Method?

The State Variable Method is an approach used in circuit analysis to determine the behavior of a circuit over time. It involves setting up a set of equations that describe the state of the circuit at any given time, and then solving these equations to obtain the desired output.

How is the State Variable Method different from other circuit analysis methods?

The State Variable Method differs from other methods, such as Kirchhoff's Laws or Mesh Analysis, in that it takes into account the time-varying behavior of the circuit. This allows for a more accurate and comprehensive analysis of the circuit's behavior.

What are the advantages of using the State Variable Method?

One advantage of using the State Variable Method is that it can be applied to any type of circuit, regardless of its complexity. Additionally, it allows for the analysis of circuits with multiple inputs and outputs, making it a versatile tool for circuit analysis.

Are there any limitations to using the State Variable Method?

While the State Variable Method is a powerful tool for circuit analysis, it does have its limitations. It may be more complex and time-consuming compared to other methods, and may require a deeper understanding of differential equations and linear algebra to fully utilize.

Can the State Variable Method be used for both DC and AC circuits?

Yes, the State Variable Method can be used for both DC and AC circuits. However, the equations and analysis may differ slightly depending on the type of circuit being analyzed. It is important to properly identify and account for the type of circuit being analyzed in order to obtain accurate results.