SR for cl. rel. field theories.

In summary, the conversation revolves around the topic of studying special and general relativity, specifically in relation to classical relativistic field theories such as Electromagnetism and Einstein's field equations. It is mentioned that for GR, tensor analysis is needed and for electrodynamics, knowledge of vector calculus and tensors may be necessary. The conversation also touches on the use of Lagrangians in mechanics and their connection to relativistic forms, as well as the concept of relative motion in relation to Maxwell's equations. The suggestion of resources such as lecture notes and a book on Classical Electrodynamics is also made.
magicfountain
I read basic stuff about relativity (time dilitation etc.) in a HS textbook.
I want to do some relativistic dynamics and go up to Einsteins field equations (GR). For GR I will definitely need tensor analysis. However, what is the math involved in the SR that I need to get to classic relativistic field theories (Electromagnetic),which I want to do before doing GR?

Physics news on Phys.org
magicfountain said:
I want to do some relativistic dynamics and go up to Einsteins field equations (GR). For GR I will definitely need tensor analysis.

However, what is the math involved in the SR that I need to get to classic relativistic field theories (Electromagnetic),which I want to do before doing GR?

For GR you need some basis of differential geometry.
For the second question, I think you refer to Classical Electrodynamics? For it you need vector calculus, and to know something about tensor if you use covariant formalism.

Is this what you were asking?

As far as my understanding goes, maxwells basic equations describe the EM field without relativistic effects (I have done them already, as well es basic vec. calc. (div. grad. rot.)). I just had a look at some lecture notes from the internet and it had a lot of tensors for relativistic maxwelltheory. not really following it (because I know few about tensors in relativity) i saw langrange densities coming up while going through it.
I know the how to derive lagrange densities in mechanics (they can be nonrelativistic) and thought, there was a way to have maxwell field theory in lagrangian form, but this probably corresponds to relativistic forms only. (is this correct?)
should I start doing tensors and relativity first to get to relativistic maxwelltheory?

magicfountain said:
As far as my understanding goes, maxwells basic equations describe the EM field without relativistic effects.

Maxwell's equations are inherently relativistic. So why do you say this?

Of course one can take a non-rel. limit, giving "Galilean Maxwell theories", but that's a different cookie.

haushofer said:
Maxwell's equations are inherently relativistic. So why do you say this?

Ok, if you mean relative motion (B-field for moving etc.).
Maybe it was wrong, that with relativistic I referred to time dilatation and doing Lorentztransformations.

magicfountain said:
should I start doing tensors and relativity first to get to relativistic maxwelltheory?

Maxwell theory is relativistic( in the sense of special relativity): it predicts for example that the speed of an electromagnetic wave is c.
What are you looking for, I think it is electrodynamics. You can study the motion of particles in electromagnetic field, and for this you need special relativity and tensors.

http://arxiv.org/abs/physics/0311011/
I've just found this notes, try to look at them, even if they are more mathematic than physics.
The standard reference for the subject is a book called Classical Electrodynamics by Jackson.

alialice said:
I think it is electrodynamics. You can study the motion of particles in electromagnetic field.
Thanks, this helps!
So is this also what the Langrangians are for?

magicfountain said:
Ok, if you mean relative motion (B-field for moving etc.).
Maybe it was wrong, that with relativistic I referred to time dilatation and doing Lorentztransformations.
Maxwell's equations relate to a single inertial frame. The change with SR was that the equations are valid for any inertial frame - this doesn't affect the equations at all.

magicfountain said:
Thanks, this helps!
So is this also what the Langrangians are for?

Yes :)

1. What is "SR for cl. rel. field theories"?

"SR for cl. rel. field theories" refers to special relativity (SR) applied to classical relativistic field theories. This means that the principles and equations of SR are used to describe and analyze the behavior of fields (such as electromagnetic fields) in the framework of classical physics.

2. How is SR applied to classical field theories?

SR is applied to classical field theories by using the Lorentz transformation equations, which describe how coordinates and other physical quantities change between different frames of reference moving at constant velocities. These equations are used to ensure that the principles of SR, such as the constancy of the speed of light, are upheld in the analysis of classical field theories.

3. What are the advantages of using SR in classical field theories?

The use of SR in classical field theories allows for a more complete and accurate understanding of the behavior of fields in different frames of reference. It also allows for the prediction and explanation of phenomena such as time dilation and length contraction, which cannot be accounted for in classical physics without the principles of SR.

4. What are some examples of classical field theories that use SR?

Some examples of classical field theories that use SR include Maxwell's equations for electromagnetic fields, the Klein-Gordon equation for scalar fields, and the Dirac equation for quantum fields. These theories are all based on the principles of SR and have been extensively tested and confirmed through experiments.

5. How does the use of SR in classical field theories relate to general relativity?

While special relativity is limited to describing the behavior of fields in inertial frames of reference, general relativity extends this concept to include non-inertial frames and the effects of gravity. Therefore, the use of SR in classical field theories is a stepping stone towards the more comprehensive theory of general relativity, which combines SR with the principles of gravity.