Can saltwater and light bulbs create electricity?

• Thread starter mutzy188
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Light
In summary, today in chemistry, we learned about different chemical reactions and how saltwater conducts electricity. While simply submerging the light bulb wires in saltwater will not create a potential difference and light the bulb, it is possible to create a simple battery by using dissimilar metals like copper and zinc as electrodes. However, this will not produce a strong enough current to light a bulb and is not dangerous. The energy is not coming from the saltwater itself, but rather from the difference in electrode potentials.
mutzy188
Hi everyone. Today in chemistry we saw this really cool video about different chemical reactions and learned that saltwater conducts electricity :smile: . I have one of those light bulbs that came out of a flashlight and it has 2 wires coming out of it. If I had some saltwater and stuck the wires of the bulb in the water would the bulb light? would I get electrocuted? If so how can I do this so I won't get electrocuted? Also does anyone know how much power saltwater produces?

~Thanks

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
To light the bulb you need a current, this means there must be a potential difference across the leads of the bulb. Sticking the bulbs in salt water does not imply a potential difference. Quite the opposite since the salt water is a good conductor, the leads will be at very nearly the same potential. Similar to connecting a wire directly from one lead to the other, this is not how you light the bulb.

Now, If you were to place 1 lead in salt water and connect the other to a battery. You could light the bulb by putting the OTHER side of the battery in the water.

Likewise, if you are in salt water holding one side of the battery (or some other power source) and the other side of the source is connected to the salt water you will become part of the circuit, under the right (wrong?) conditions this can be fatal.

Is there a way I can make the saltwater like a battery? Can I make it so the saltwater powers stuff?

Integral, I think what mutzy's seen is a galvanic cell.

Mutzy, you can (theoretically) light your bulb!

Well, almost. If you connect one wire to a copper plate, and the other to a zinc plate, and dip those in the water, you'll have created a galvanic cell. It's not actually the saltwater itself providing the electricity, it's the difference in what's called the "electrode potentials" of the two (dissimilar) metals you use as "electrodes". You'll have made a very simple battery.

You won't get electrocuted, (if I've understood you right and you're not using any other power source) and because such a low current is generated you will probably struggle to even light a bulb. You might have seen "potato clocks" for sale in toy shops; this is how they work except they use potatoes instead of saltwater. I will point out again that the energy is NOT coming from the potato/salt water/copper sulphate solution/electrolyte.

1. How does saltwater affect a light bulb?

Saltwater can have a corrosive effect on light bulbs, especially if the salt content is high. When saltwater comes into contact with the metal components of a light bulb, it can cause them to rust and corrode, potentially leading to a shorter lifespan or even failure of the bulb.

2. Can saltwater be used as a conductor for a light bulb?

Yes, saltwater can be used as a conductor for a light bulb. This is because saltwater contains ions that can carry electric current, allowing the bulb to light up. However, using saltwater as a conductor is not recommended as it can damage the light bulb and may also be dangerous.

3. What happens when a light bulb is submerged in saltwater?

If a light bulb is submerged in saltwater, it will likely stop working due to the corrosive and conductive properties of saltwater. The saltwater can cause damage to the electrical components of the bulb, leading to a malfunction or complete failure. In addition, the water can also short out the bulb, causing it to stop working.

4. What type of light bulb is best for saltwater environments?

LED light bulbs are the best choice for saltwater environments. They are not affected by the corrosive properties of saltwater and are also energy-efficient, making them a more sustainable option. LED bulbs also have a longer lifespan compared to traditional incandescent bulbs, making them a more cost-effective choice in the long run.

5. Can saltwater be used to power a light bulb?

Saltwater alone cannot power a light bulb. However, when combined with other materials such as copper and zinc, saltwater can be used to create a chemical reaction that generates electricity. This process is called a battery, and it can be used to power a light bulb. However, the amount of energy produced is minimal and not enough to power a light bulb for an extended period of time.