Solve Vector Statics Problem - Need Help Now

In summary, the conversation is about solving a statics problem involving lifting a roller onto tiles. The person is struggling to figure out when to consider equilibrium and is seeking help. They are advised to calculate the maximum opposing force at each stage and determine the push or pull needed to make it zero.
ashishsinghal
I am not able to figure out how to solve this problem. It does not seem to be a statics problem to me. At what point do we consider the equilibrium. Please Help!

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    13.5 KB · Views: 466
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, it is a statics question: you don't have to consider acceleration or velocity.
To lift the roller onto the tiles you only need enough force to match (plus the teeniest bit) the maximum opposing force. In general, that entails calculating the opposing force at each stage in lifting the roller onto the tiles, but I think it's pretty clear the maximum opposing force will be right at the start. So all you need to determine is the push/pull needed to make a certain force become zero... which one?

Thanks haruspex

1. What is the definition of a vector in statics?

A vector in statics is a mathematical representation of a physical quantity that has both magnitude and direction. In statics, vectors are used to represent forces and moments acting on a body.

2. How do I solve a vector statics problem?

To solve a vector statics problem, you must first draw a free-body diagram of the object in question, showing all the forces acting on it. Then, use vector addition and subtraction to determine the resultant force and moment acting on the object. Finally, use equilibrium equations to solve for the unknown forces and moments.

3. What are the equilibrium equations in vector statics?

The equilibrium equations in vector statics are the sum of forces in the x-direction, the sum of forces in the y-direction, and the sum of moments about a point. These equations state that for an object to be in equilibrium, the sum of all forces acting on it must be equal to zero and the sum of all moments acting on it must also be equal to zero.

4. Can I use trigonometry to solve vector statics problems?

Yes, trigonometry can be used to solve vector statics problems. You can use trigonometric functions such as sine, cosine, and tangent to find the components of a vector in a specific direction and to find the angles between vectors.

5. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when solving vector statics problems?

Yes, some common mistakes to avoid when solving vector statics problems include not properly labeling your vectors, not considering all the forces and moments acting on the object, and not using the correct signs for forces and moments. It is also important to check your final solution to ensure it is physically reasonable.