Question on definition of Lie groups

In summary, the conversation discusses the definition of Lie groups and the requirement for them to also be smooth manifolds. The group G is defined as a set of linear functions that preserve the inner product, with the operation of composition as its group operation. The question is raised about how to prove that G is a smooth manifold without specifying a parametrization. It is suggested that a topological argument may be needed, and the use of matrices in a group representation is also mentioned. The conversation ends with a reference to the orthogonal group and its relationship to the concept of a group representation.
mnb96
Hello,

I have a doubt on the definition of Lie groups that I would like to clarify.
Let's have the set of functions [tex]G=\{ f:R^2 \rightarrow R^2 \; | \; < f(x),f(y)>=<x,y> \: \forall x,y \in R^2 \}[/tex], that is the set of all linear functions ℝ2→ℝ2 that preserve the inner product. Let's associate the operation of composition to the elements of G and we obtain a group [itex](G,\circ)[/itex].

Now in order to say that G is indeed a Lie group we must prove that G is also a smooth manifold. How can I do this if we don't specify a parametrization (e.g. a matrix representation) for the group G ?

And also in that case, wouldn't the definition of G being a smooth manifold depend on the parametrization?

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you use continuity and smoothness properties of the inner product and also use some assumptions for f and g to ensure this?

I don't know. To be honest I cannot come up with other different strategies than associating each function [itex]f\in G[/itex] with an element of a vector space where I could perform ordinary partial differentiation w.r.t. to the parameters. But this approach is then dependent on the parametrization that I give, which may or may not be differentiable.

Perhaps there might be some theorem that states that if we are able to find just one parametrization by which we manage to prove that the "parametrized G" is a differentiable manifold, then also our "non-parametrized G" must be a differentiable manifold?

mnb96 said:
I don't know. To be honest I cannot come up with other different strategies than associating each function [itex]f\in G[/itex] with an element of a vector space where I could perform ordinary partial differentiation w.r.t. to the parameters. But this approach is then dependent on the parametrization that I give, which may or may not be differentiable.

Perhaps there might be some theorem that states that if we are able to find just one parametrization by which we manage to prove that the "parametrized G" is a differentiable manifold, then also our "non-parametrized G" must be a differentiable manifold?

It sounds like you need some topological argument since you are talking about a general continuity property rather than some specific one (like a specific parameterization). I don't really know any topology though in depth so I'm not even aware of the major theorems.

R^2 I'm sure (as for R^n) has known topological results: can you assume that the topology is the same or at least something that keeps the smoothness properties in tact?

Sorry, I need to go now, but maybe try using the fact that the group you described

is usually called the orthogonal group--consisting of the elements that preserve

a given quadratic form Q* -- and it is a well-known Lie group. * Remember that your inner-product can be described thru a quadratic form.
The answer

to your question, tho, may have to see with using matrices in a representation of

the group. A group representation of a group G is just a homomorphism between

G and a group of matrices, so that each g in G is assigned a matrix. Once you have

a matrix, you can start talking about a topology . Just use the subspace topology

in R^{n^2} , where you assign to a matrix an n^2-ple (a11, a12,..., ann ).

See, e.g:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orthogonal_group

Last edited:

1. What is a Lie group?

A Lie group is a type of mathematical object that combines the properties of a group (a set of objects that can be combined using a binary operation) with the properties of a smooth manifold (a space that looks locally like Euclidean space).

2. What are the defining characteristics of a Lie group?

A Lie group must satisfy two main properties: it must be a group, meaning that it has a binary operation that is associative, has an identity element, and every element has an inverse; and it must be a smooth manifold, meaning that it is locally homeomorphic to Euclidean space.

3. What are some examples of Lie groups?

Some common examples of Lie groups include the special orthogonal group (SO(n)), the special unitary group (SU(n)), and the general linear group (GL(n)). Other examples include the rotation group, the permutation group, and the Lorentz group.

4. What is the significance of Lie groups in mathematics?

Lie groups are important in mathematics because they provide a framework for studying continuous symmetries and transformations. They have applications in many areas of mathematics, including geometry, topology, and physics.

5. What are some real-world applications of Lie groups?

Lie groups have practical applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and computer graphics. For example, they are used in the study of rigid body dynamics, robotics, and computer animation. They also have applications in cryptography and data compression.