Major to go into Solar Energy ( particularly Nanotechnology in Solar energy )

In summary: EE may be more related to solar panels and other technologies to capture and convert solar energy, while ChemEng may be more related to materials used in solar energy technology, such as solar cells.In summary, the conversation discusses the best major to pursue for a career in Nanotechnology, particularly in its application to Solar energy. The options given are EE and Chem Eng, with EE being more focused on solar panel technology and Chem Eng being more focused on materials used in solar energy technology. The decision ultimately depends on the individual's orientation and motivation.
mahrap
Hi. I will be starting college this fall and I am interested in pursuing a career in Nanotechnology - particularly its application to Solar energy. I have not declared a major at this point and was wondering what would be the best major to help me go into this field. I hear EE and Chem eng are some good options. Can you please elaborate on how each of these majors would apply to the field I'm interested in? Thank you so much for all your help. And if it matters my school has a much stronger EE dept than a chem eng dept.

Physics news on Phys.org
Depends on your orientation. You could major in applied physics (or "engineering physics" or something more specific, if such exists), if you're oriented to studying extensive theoretical and scientific foundations and your main motivation is "understanding". This would direct you mainly to study solar energy technology and how to develop it.

An engineering program is more applied and practical, which would direct you to practical applications e.g. designing and building usable solar energy technology products. Your motivation would be "I want to design and build products that use solar energy technology".

Regarding EE or ChemEng majors, check the curricula. Nanotechnology and solar energy touch both "disciplines".

1. What is nanotechnology in solar energy?

Nanotechnology in solar energy involves the use of tiny particles, typically at the nanoscale (one billionth of a meter), to improve the efficiency and functionality of solar cells. These particles can absorb and convert sunlight into energy, as well as enhance the electrical and optical properties of solar cells.

2. Why is nanotechnology important in solar energy?

Nanotechnology is important in solar energy because it has the potential to greatly improve the efficiency and cost-effectiveness of solar cells. By using nanomaterials, solar cells can absorb a wider range of sunlight, convert more of it into energy, and be produced at a lower cost.

3. What are the benefits of a major in solar energy with a focus on nanotechnology?

A major in solar energy with a focus on nanotechnology can provide students with a comprehensive understanding of the principles and applications of nanotechnology in solar energy. This can lead to job opportunities in research and development, as well as in the manufacturing and installation of solar energy systems.

4. Are there any potential drawbacks to using nanotechnology in solar energy?

While nanotechnology has the potential to greatly improve solar energy technology, there are some potential drawbacks to consider. These include the high cost of producing nanomaterials, potential environmental impacts, and possible health concerns associated with the use of nanoparticles.

5. What skills and knowledge are needed for a career in nanotechnology in solar energy?

A career in nanotechnology in solar energy may require a strong background in physics, chemistry, and materials science. It is also important to have knowledge of solar energy technology and the ability to work with advanced technologies and equipment. Strong analytical and problem-solving skills are also necessary for success in this field.