Plasma-Based Chamber: Potential for Space Propulsion

In summary, the conversation discusses an idea of a spherical chamber lined with magnetic plates and filled with a pressurized mix of deuterium and argon. The pressure is increased using a pumping system, and radiation is directed into the chamber to ignite the gases to plasma. The plasma is then expelled through a magnetic relay system for propulsion. The validity of the idea is questioned, but it has been approved by three physics professors. The conversation also mentions the need for a heating element to turn the gas into plasma.
talieseen
I'm not sure if this goes here or not, it kind of involves a few different disciplines so if it's in the wrong place, please could a moderator move it or let me know where to post it.

The idea that I had and am still trying to flesh out, is of a spherical chamber. This chamber is lined with magnetic plates that force a central location to be null in magnetic terms. Now, into this chamber is pumped a pressurized mix of deuterium (from the top), and argon (from below). The pressure inside is first increased using only the pumping system, then the magnetic field is activated pushing the material even closer together. At the bottom, on the center of the chamber, radiation (preferably in the form of neutron radiation) is then directed into the churning mass of excited gases. This should ignite them to the point of plasma. Argon, when added to Deuterium will ignite at the speed of sound. Exhaust ports through a one way vent open vent the plasma through a magnetic relay system before being expunged in the directional exhaust thrusters. The magnetic relay system is a serious of magnets along with ion gathering cathodes running both parallel and perpendicular to the rotational flow of the plasma and should recharge the system like the alternator in a car, at the same time that the expulsion of the plasma would move a craft. So, I have asked three different physics professors here at my college and they say they see no reason why this couldn't work, I wanted to know what the engineers out there think.

Engineering news on Phys.org
talieseen said:
I'm not sure if this goes here or not, it kind of involves a few different disciplines so if it's in the wrong place, please could a moderator move it or let me know where to post it.

The idea that I had and am still trying to flesh out, is of a spherical chamber. This chamber is lined with magnetic plates that force a central location to be null in magnetic terms. Now, into this chamber is pumped a pressurized mix of deuterium (from the top), and argon (from below). The pressure inside is first increased using only the pumping system, then the magnetic field is activated pushing the material even closer together. At the bottom, on the center of the chamber, radiation (preferably in the form of neutron radiation) is then directed into the churning mass of excited gases. This should ignite them to the point of plasma. Argon, when added to Deuterium will ignite at the speed of sound. Exhaust ports through a one way vent open vent the plasma through a magnetic relay system before being expunged in the directional exhaust thrusters. The magnetic relay system is a serious of magnets along with ion gathering cathodes running both parallel and perpendicular to the rotational flow of the plasma and should recharge the system like the alternator in a car, at the same time that the expulsion of the plasma would move a craft. So, I have asked three different physics professors here at my college and they say they see no reason why this couldn't work, I wanted to know what the engineers out there think.

The magnetic field does not push the particles closer together, for one thing. Nothing is there to cause the gas to turn into a plasma. You need to heat it somehow for that to happen.

Well I didn't get into the whole heating element of the thing. Like I said, that part I already took to physics professors at my college and got the ok from them on that part.

talieseen said:
Well I didn't get into the whole heating element of the thing. Like I said, that part I already took to physics professors at my college and got the ok from them on that part.

Pretty hard to believe. They may just be humoring you.

I find this idea intriguing and it definitely has potential for space propulsion. However, there are a few factors that would need to be addressed in order for this to be a feasible method of propulsion.

Firstly, the use of deuterium and argon as the fuel source is a good choice, as they are both easily ionized and can produce a high-temperature plasma. However, the use of neutron radiation to ignite the fuel may not be the most efficient method. Neutron radiation is difficult to control and may produce unwanted side effects. It may be worth considering alternative methods of ignition, such as laser or microwave energy.

Additionally, the design of the chamber and the magnetic plates would need to be carefully engineered to ensure that the plasma is contained and directed in the desired direction. Any leaks or disturbances in the magnetic field could result in loss of control and efficiency of the propulsion system.

Another consideration is the energy source for the magnetic field. It would need to be powerful enough to contain and manipulate the plasma, and also be reliable for long-term space travel. This could potentially be achieved through the use of superconducting magnets, but further research and development would be needed.

Overall, I believe that this plasma-based chamber has potential for space propulsion, but further research and testing is needed to fully assess its feasibility and address any potential challenges or limitations. I encourage you to continue exploring this idea and collaborating with engineers to refine and improve upon it. Space exploration and innovation often require out-of-the-box thinking, and I applaud your creativity in proposing this concept.

1. What is a plasma-based chamber?

A plasma-based chamber is a type of propulsion system that uses plasma, the fourth state of matter, to generate thrust. It works by ionizing a gas, usually xenon, and then accelerating the resulting plasma out of the back of the chamber to create thrust.

2. How does a plasma-based chamber work?

A plasma-based chamber works by using an electric field to ionize gas atoms, usually xenon, and then accelerating the resulting positively charged ions out of the back of the chamber at high velocities. This creates thrust in the opposite direction, propelling the spacecraft forward.

3. What are the potential benefits of using a plasma-based chamber for space propulsion?

There are several potential benefits of using a plasma-based chamber for space propulsion. These include higher specific impulse, which allows for greater efficiency and longer mission durations, and the ability to vary the thrust level, allowing for more precise control of the spacecraft's movement.

4. What are the challenges associated with using a plasma-based chamber for space propulsion?

One of the main challenges of using a plasma-based chamber for space propulsion is the high energy requirements. This means that a large power source is needed, which can be difficult to provide in space. Additionally, the design and construction of a plasma-based chamber can be complex and expensive.

5. Has a plasma-based chamber been used for space propulsion before?

Yes, plasma-based chambers have been used for space propulsion in several missions, including NASA's Deep Space 1 and Dawn missions. They have also been used on commercial satellites and are being considered for future missions, such as NASA's Solar Electric Propulsion project.