Types of Engineers: Petroleum, Power, Electrical

• Engineering
  • Thread starter queenstudy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Engineer
In summary, an engineer is a person who works with chemicals, electric wiring, and other electrical equipment. They may also study physics in order to become an engineer.
queenstudy
types of engineer??

what is the difference between petroleum engineer , power enginner and electrical engineer ?
does anyone have any details about how much one gets payed?? thank you

Physics news on Phys.org

Petroleum engineers work on organic chemistry on a large scale. Examples might include those who design grease processes, refine fuels for various applications, and so on...

Power engineers work on large scale electric distribution projects from the generator facilities through the substations, and design heavy duty controls for large motors and the like.

Power engineering is a subset of Electrical Engineering, which can include RF design, computer hardware design, switching power supply design, and so on.

As for what they get paid, that depends upon where you are in the world, and what skills you bring to the job. An entry level salary is typically anywhere from US$30k to US$50k. A senior engineer can make US$100k - US$120k and up, depending on what they do.

But, again, that's where salaries are TODAY. In general, demand for engineers has been steady. But in this global economy, who knows what could happen. My career goes back over 25 years; and while I can't say I'm wealthy, I make a comfortable middle class living.

If you love this stuff, you probably won't starve. If you don't like it, well, you won't be happy.

you see i love engineer but now I am in my third year in physics and i want to continue my studies by becoming an engineer in australia is it possible

All you need is the time and money to pursue it. I have a good friend who, after receiving his degree in Physics, got a degree in Electrical Engineering, and then went on to study several foreign languages.

But, despite what academics will tell you, education is not an end in itself. You need to have some idea of what you want to do with your education. Think about where you'd like to be when you graduate. Sometimes it helps to go to work for a few years and see what you like and what you don't.

We have this expectation when people go to school that magically they'll somehow know what they want to be when they grow up. The reality is that most people do not even have a clue what they really would enjoy doing, nor do they have the slightest concept of what the work-force is like.

Take some time to work at something you might enjoy. Perhaps you might want to attend school at night while you work during the day. It is not an easy path to take, but you do get a huge return on your education investment because you have hard experience to apply to your class learning.

Good Luck!

you see i always wanted to be an engineer but i failed when i entered the faculty of engineer now I am the first in my calss in physics because of the experience of my failure in engineer I am so lost i don't know what do i like i really don't I am really afraid of failing again if i get back to engineer any thoughts

1. What is the difference between a petroleum engineer and a power engineer?

A petroleum engineer focuses on the extraction and production of oil and natural gas, while a power engineer works with various forms of energy production, such as electricity, solar, and nuclear power.

2. Can a petroleum engineer work in the power industry?

While a petroleum engineer may have some transferable skills, such as knowledge of fluid mechanics and thermodynamics, they would require additional training and education to work in the power industry.

3. What types of projects do electrical engineers typically work on?

Electrical engineers work on a wide range of projects, including designing and developing electrical systems for buildings, machinery, and electronic devices.

4. How do petroleum engineers contribute to the energy industry?

Petroleum engineers play a crucial role in the energy industry by finding and developing new sources of oil and gas, and optimizing production processes to increase efficiency and profitability.

5. What skills are important for a successful career as a power engineer?

Power engineers should have strong problem-solving and critical thinking skills, as well as a solid understanding of electrical systems and energy production methods. They should also be able to work well in a team and have good communication skills.