When should I start applying for jobs?

• Thread starter pierre9045
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Jobs
In summary, it is recommended to start applying for jobs in the fall or early winter, even before graduation. This can increase your chances of finding a job and reduce stress. It is also important to clean up social media profiles and have recommendation writers lined up. When applying, consider the job description and see if the company is willing to wait for you to graduate. It is better to apply and find out than miss out on an opportunity.
pierre9045
I'm [STRIKE]planning[/STRIKE] hoping to graduate from my physics phd program at the end of the school year (graduation date in May) and am itching to start applying for jobs now.

When is a good time to start applying for (non-academic) jobs?

Is it a bad idea to apply to job postings this early?

What type of timeframe are these job posts on, from when they post to an online job board, to when they expect the person to start working?

Is it unheard of for a company, if they really want a person that they just interviewed, to wait several months for that person to start work?

Thanks for any input you might have.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Many people start applying in January but I don't think it hurts to apply now and get your resume in the pile early. Another thing to do is to get on LinkedIn and setup a profile and get connected with others.

Next don't forget to cleanup your Facebook act as employers routinely scour it for information on prospective employees.

Get some recommendation writers lined up too as some employers like to talk to other who know you to get a fuller picture of your capabilities and weaknesses.

Should you get an interview, remember to have answers to gaps in your résumé and remember to have succinct answers to projects or course work you've listed.

I would start looking for jobs now. A few of my friends got hired/interviewed from a career fair that was held in September and then the had jobs waiting for them when they graduated in May. It definitely reduces a lot of the stress associated with trying to find jobs later on. I wish I had a job already lined up for me when I graduated, but now I'm still trying to find one and I graduated in May (started applying mid-late June).

Some companies obviously want to fill a position as fast as possible, but because you're still in school and a good candidate, they are willing to work with you. Look at the job description too, some companies say 'Looking for December 2012 grads' or 'Work starts June 2013' or something along those lines. I would say apply and see if the company is willing to work with you. Better to find out than not have any clue and miss out on an opportunity.

Last edited:

1. When is the best time to start applying for jobs?

The best time to start applying for jobs is typically 3-4 months before you are available to start working. This will give you enough time to research and apply for positions, as well as potentially go through multiple rounds of interviews.

2. Is it better to apply for jobs online or in person?

It is recommended to apply for jobs online, as most companies now use online job portals to post and receive applications. However, it can also be beneficial to network and make connections in person, as this can increase your chances of getting hired.

3. Should I apply for jobs even if I don't meet all the requirements?

Yes, it is still worth applying for a job even if you don't meet all the requirements. Job postings often list the ideal candidate, but companies may still consider applicants who have most of the qualifications. Additionally, you may have transferable skills or relevant experience that could make you a strong candidate.

4. How many jobs should I apply for?

It is recommended to apply for a variety of jobs that align with your skills and interests. There is no set number, but it is important to not limit yourself to just a few options. Apply for as many jobs as you feel are a good fit, and continue to search for new openings as they become available.

5. What should I include in my job application?

Your job application should include a well-written resume and cover letter that highlight your relevant skills and experiences. It is also important to tailor your application to each job, by researching the company and position and customizing your materials accordingly. Additionally, you may want to include any relevant certifications, portfolio pieces, or letters of recommendation.