Proving Inequality: 1/(n+1) <= ln(1+1/n) <= 1/n

• Thread starter matrix_204
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Inequality
In summary: You can try this:Sketch the curve y = \frac{1}{1 + x} for the domain of x \geq 0Now demarcate the area under the curve bounded by the vertical lines x = 0 and x = \frac{1}{n}Find the ordinates (y-values) at those x-values. Come up with two rectangles that form upper and lower bounds for the area and work out their areas in terms of n.Now evaluate the same area exactly using definite integration. What can you now see ?
matrix_204
how do i show that 1/(n+1)<=ln(1+1/n)<=1/n? i need sum help, i have the definitions for log n e except i need to kno how to apply them, at first it seemed simple to just do it but i m havin sum trouble..

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not quite sure if this is correct, but some things I noticed might be of help:

1. Well, one part of the inequality is trivial. It is quite clear that 1/(n+1) <= 1/n.
2. If you multiply all sides by n (and apply the logarithmic property to the middle term), you will find the inequality easier, most likely.
3. Try applying the "squeeze principle."

Hope that helps! :)

Last edited:
what's the squeeze principle, is that the pinching theorem?
also the reason i asked this question was because like u mentioned, it's kind of obvious but i was wondering what else it might involve besides just knowing that 1/(n+1) <= 1/n.

matrix_204 said:
how do i show that 1/(n+1)<=ln(1+1/n)<=1/n? i need sum help, i have the definitions for log n e except i need to kno how to apply them, at first it seemed simple to just do it but i m havin sum trouble..

Try this :

Sketch the curve [tex]y = \frac{1}{1 + x}[/tex] for the domain of [tex]x \geq 0[/tex]

Now demarcate the area under the curve bounded by the vertical lines [tex]x = 0[/tex] and [tex]x = \frac{1}{n}[/tex]

Find the ordinates (y-values) at those x-values. Come up with two rectangles that form upper and lower bounds for the area and work out their areas in terms of n.

Now evaluate the same area exactly using definite integration. What can you now see ?

matrix_204 said:
You've already solved this problem! Let x=(1 + 1/n) and go here:
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=62897

[tex] :(1): \ \ \ \ \frac {x - 1} {x} \ \leq \ ln(x) \ \leq \ (x - 1) [/tex]

[tex] :(2): \ \ \ \ x = 1 + \frac {1} {n} [/tex]

[tex] :(3): \ \ \ \ \frac {1} {n + 1} \ \leq \ ln(1 + \frac {1} {n}) \ \leq \ \frac {1} {n} [/tex]

~~

oooh i didn't even notice that, ok so this one i have done it, now there is another similar type of problem, except this one involves e, it goes like this;
(1+1/n)^n<= e <=(1+1/n)^n+1
do i solve this one by finding the logs of all these functions, since its a power of n and so forth..(n+1)

1. What is the purpose of proving this inequality?

The purpose of proving this inequality is to establish a relationship between two mathematical expressions, and to demonstrate that one expression is always greater than or equal to the other for a given range of values.

2. Why is this inequality important?

This inequality is important because it is a fundamental mathematical concept that has many real-world applications. It is used in fields such as economics, physics, and computer science to model and analyze various phenomena.

3. How is this inequality proven?

This inequality can be proven using various mathematical techniques such as induction, calculus, or algebraic manipulation. The specific method used may depend on the context and purpose of the proof.

4. What are the implications of this inequality?

The implications of this inequality are that the expression 1/(n+1) can be used as an upper bound for the natural logarithm of 1+1/n, and vice versa. This can be useful in solving mathematical problems and making approximations.

5. Can this inequality be generalized to other expressions?

Yes, this inequality can be generalized to other expressions by substituting different functions or variables into the original inequality. However, the validity of the inequality may depend on the specific values of the functions or variables used.