Exploring the Manifold of Eigenfunctions in Quantum Mechanics

In summary: Have fun with manifolds!In summary, the equations of quantum mechanics involve eigenfunctions and eigenvalues, which form a complete set for representing any state. During measurement, the superposition of states collapses to one of the eigenfunctions, with the probability of measuring a specific eigenfunction determined by an inner product between states. The question is raised whether this inner product suggests that all eigenfunctions exist within a larger manifold, possibly governed by a symmetry principle. However, it is important to note that a Hilbert space, which is the state space of a physical system, is not necessarily a manifold. Rather, it is a vector space with an inner product, and eigenfunctions are just eigenvectors that have been represented as functions in a specific
Mike2
So the equations of QM give eigenfunctions and eigenvalues. The eigenfunctions form a complete set with which any state is a combination of such. When measuring, the superposition of states collapse to one of the eigenfunctions. And the probability that some state with be measured in a particular eigenfunction is formed like an inner product of two states, etc.

All this to ask the question: the eigenfunction is a function that maps one manifold to another. And each eigenfunction is a different manifold from the others. There is an inner product between these manifolds to form the probability of going from one to the other. I wonder if the inner product tells us that all the separate eigenfunctions rest within a larger manifold. This would be a manifold of manifolds. Is this a valid way of looking at things? If so, then is there some more general equation that specifies this manifold of eigenfunctions, perhaps some symmetry principle?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
What's your acception/definition of a manifold...?:bugeye: I don't think it matches mine...:confused:

Daniel.

dextercioby said:
What's your acception/definition of a manifold...?:bugeye: I don't think it matches mine...:confused:

Daniel.
As I understand it, the eigenfunctions are a manifold in the usual since. But then there seems to be an inner product for these eigenfunctions (which are manifolds), and this inner product gives you the probability of going from one state to the next. I have to wonder if this inner product is the same as a metric which is normally defined on a manifold. In this case, it would be a manifold whose points are eigenfunctions.

If that is the case (and I could very well be wrong), then I wonder what would be specifying this overall manifold of eigenfunctions. Could it be some sort of symmetry principle?

Thanks.

If the set of all eigenfunctions is a manifold (I'll take your word for it), let's call it M. The inner product is then just a function from M x M into C (the set of complex numbers). How could just one function be a manifold?

The set of eigenfunctions (this mean only discrete spectrum) span a HILBERT SPACE...A manifold is something else...

Please read the maths more carefully.

Daniel.

A n-manifold is a Hausdorff space such that any point has a neighbourhood corresponding to points in a Euclidean n-space. I don't think all sets of eigenfunctions will necessarily form an n-manifold; though this is not the issue of real importance here.

Secondly, an inner product does not define a new manifold.

Thirdly, the word manifold has been mercilessly thrown about in the first post, without even stopping to see what it actually means. I think you are clutching for straws in looking for some new abstract symmetry that will reveal all the secrets of the world!

Masud.

masudr said:
A n-manifold is a Hausdorff space such that any point has a neighbourhood corresponding to points in a Euclidean n-space. I don't think all sets of eigenfunctions will necessarily form an n-manifold; though this is not the issue of real importance here.

Secondly, an inner product does not define a new manifold.

Thirdly, the word manifold has been mercilessly thrown about in the first post, without even stopping to see what it actually means. I think you are clutching for straws in looking for some new abstract symmetry that will reveal all the secrets of the world!

Masud.
OK, so a Hilbert space is not a manifold. My mistake, sorry. What about an underlying symmetry principle that distinguishes the Hilbert space. Any clues on that?

What do you mean by "distinguishes the Hilbert space"...?And yes,the QM version of Emmy Noether's theorem is pretty handy.

Daniel.

A Hilbert space is indeed a manifold, namely a Hilbert manifold. Like ordinary manifolds are locally modeled after a Euclidean space, a Hilbert manifold is locally modeled after a Hilbert space. So in particular in can be overcountably infinite dimensional. Ordinary Euclidean space, e.g. R^3 is of course also a manifold, but a special (flat) one, because of course Euclidean space is locally modeled after a Euclidean space. Same goes for Hilbert manifolds.

In the case of the state space of a physical system, the formalism of manifolds is not needed, though. The decisive feature of the Hilbert space is that it is a vector space with an inner product. As all vector spaces, it is spanned by a base, which however can comprise overcountably many vectors for a Hilbert space. As a base you can use the eigenVECTORS of an arbitrary hermitian operator. Viewed this way, they are just elements of this space, not functions. You label this set of vectors by the eigenvalues to which they belong (assume they are non-degenerate for now). Then any vector can be represented in this basis by calculating the appropriate coefficient for the linear combination. Now an eigenFUNCTION is an eigenvector of some operator, e.g. the Hamilton operator (i.e. an energy eigenstate), which has been represented in the basis of the eigenvectors of the position operator. Like this it becomes a function Psi(x), where x is the eigenvalue of the position operator and the function value of Psi at x is the coefficient of the linear combination.

Hope I could help a little.

1. What is the Manifold of Eigenfunctions in Quantum Mechanics?

The Manifold of Eigenfunctions in Quantum Mechanics refers to the set of all possible eigenfunctions of a given quantum system. These eigenfunctions describe the possible states of a quantum system and are characterized by unique eigenvalues.

2. Why is it important to explore the Manifold of Eigenfunctions in Quantum Mechanics?

Exploring the Manifold of Eigenfunctions allows us to understand the behavior of quantum systems and make predictions about their properties. It also helps us to identify patterns and relationships between different eigenfunctions, which can provide insights into the underlying principles of quantum mechanics.

3. How do scientists study the Manifold of Eigenfunctions in Quantum Mechanics?

Scientists use mathematical tools and techniques, such as linear algebra and functional analysis, to study the Manifold of Eigenfunctions. They also use computational methods to simulate and visualize the behavior of quantum systems and their eigenfunctions.

4. What are some real-world applications of understanding the Manifold of Eigenfunctions in Quantum Mechanics?

Understanding the Manifold of Eigenfunctions is crucial in many fields, including quantum computing, materials science, and chemistry. It also has practical applications in developing new technologies, such as quantum sensors and cryptography systems.

5. Are there any ongoing research or developments in exploring the Manifold of Eigenfunctions in Quantum Mechanics?

Yes, there is ongoing research in this field, with scientists continuously exploring new techniques and approaches to understand the Manifold of Eigenfunctions. This includes studying the behavior of complex quantum systems, as well as developing new methods for efficient computation and analysis of eigenfunctions.