Logic Problem Solutions: Universal and Existential Formulas

• Thread starter NasuSama
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Logic
In summary, a universal formula is one that begins with ∀ and is followed by a quantifier-free statement, while an existential formula begins with ∃ and is followed by a quantifier-free statement. The rules for logical equivalence between substructures and valuations state that if a universal formula is satisfied in a substructure, then it is also satisfied in the larger structure, and if an existential formula is satisfied in a substructure, then it is also satisfied in the larger structure. Using this information, it can be shown that (∃x Px) is not logically equivalent to any universal formula, and that (∀x Px) is not logically equivalent to any existential formula.
NasuSama

Homework Statement

A universal (or ∀_1) formula is one of the form ∀x_1∀x_2...∀x_nθ, where θ is quantifi er-free.
An existential (or ∃_1) formula is one of the form ∃_1∃_2...∃x_n θ.
Let A be a substructure of B, and s valuation on A.

a) Show that if ⊨_B ψ and ψ is universal, then ⊨_A ψ . Also show that if ⊨_A ψ and ψ is existential, then ⊨_B ψ .

b) Use part (a) to show that the sentence (∃x Px) is not logically equivalent to any universal formula, and that (∀x Px) is not logically equivalent to any existential formula.

Homework Equations

→satisfiability?

The Attempt at a Solution

My professor goes too quickly with satisfiability, and he expects me to solve such problem.

Here are some thoughts I have..

a) Since ψ is universal, we can say that ⊨_B ∀x_1∀x_2...∀x_n θ . I would say that since θ is quantifier free, no matter what type of symbols you have for θ, then, it must be just ∀x_1∀x_2...∀x_n θ = θ. I am thinking that I need to use induction principle for this part.

Seems like I lack some understanding of how the proof should work. -___-

b) I am not sure how to work out part b.

Physics news on Phys.org
I am thinking that it should be related to part a, but I do not know how to use the information from part a to prove part b.

1. What is the hardest logic problem?

The hardest logic problem is a subjective question, as what may be difficult for one person may not be for another. However, one commonly cited difficult logic problem is the "Einstein's Riddle", which involves using a series of clues to determine the relationship between five houses and their respective owners, as well as their preferences for pets, drinks, and cigarettes.

2. How do you approach solving a difficult logic problem?

There are a few strategies that can be helpful when approaching a difficult logic problem. These include breaking down the problem into smaller parts, creating a table or diagram to organize the information, and using logic tools such as process of elimination or creating if-then statements.

3. What skills are needed to solve a hard logic problem?

Solving a difficult logic problem requires a combination of critical thinking, analytical skills, and attention to detail. It also helps to have a strong foundation in logic and problem-solving techniques.

4. Are there any tips for improving logic problem-solving abilities?

Practice is key for improving logic problem-solving abilities. It can also be helpful to break down the problem into smaller parts and practice using different strategies and techniques. Additionally, staying organized and focused can aid in solving difficult logic problems.

5. Can logic problems be solved using algorithms or computer programs?

Yes, some logic problems can be solved using algorithms or computer programs, especially those that involve a large amount of data or complex mathematical calculations. However, for more creative or abstract logic problems, human problem-solving skills are still necessary.