Head scratching integral calculus hw

In summary, the conversation is about a person seeking help with their integral calculus homework. They are struggling with an integral involving x, e, and exponents. Another person suggests using a substitution to make the integral easier to solve, but the original poster is still having difficulty and may need to use a reduction formula. There is also a discussion about a possible typo in the original problem.
JasonJo
hey guys, i need help on my integral calculus hw

2) int(x*3*e^(x^7)) dx
this one is just giving me insane problems

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
1) Try the substitution:

u = (4-t)1/2

du = -dt / 2(4-t)1/2

Key thing here: you've got some expression of t and square root of some other expression involving t. Make a substitution to so that u is proportional to square root of t, and therefore t is in terms of u^2, and your integral now has u and u^2 in it. Much easier to work with. No square roots. Just polynomials. That's why I chose that substitution.

JasonJo said:
2) int(x*3*e^(x^7)) dx
this one is just giving me insane problems
Is this [tex]\int3 x e^x^7{dx}[/tex] or [tex]\int x^3 e^x^7{dx}[/tex]?

As you have it written, it's a very strange order for multiplication. Either way, it doesn't seem to be a simple, straight-forward answer. The only way I seem to have found so far requires a reduction formula.

For the integral
[tex] \int x \ e^{x^{7}} dx [/tex]

view the first attachement.

For the integral
[tex] \int x^{3} \ e^{x^{7}} dx [/tex]

view the second...

Daniel.

Attachments

• Integrate.gif
    Integrate.gif
    1.2 KB · Views: 441
  • Integrate2.gif
    Integrate2.gif
    1.1 KB · Views: 438
dextercioby said:
For the integral
[tex] \int x \ e^{x^{7}} dx [/tex]

view the first attachement.

For the integral
[tex] \int x^{3} \ e^{x^{7}} dx [/tex]

view the second...

Daniel.
If he's still doing normal substitutions, it is doubtful that he is expected to know gamma integral transformations. I think there's a typo in the original poster's post.

Then let him correct it,else his entire visit to PF has been useless...

Daniel.

1. What is integral calculus?

Integral calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with finding the area under a curve or the accumulation of a quantity over a specific interval. It is used to solve problems involving motion, growth, and change.

2. Why is it important to understand integral calculus?

Understanding integral calculus is essential for many fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and statistics. It allows us to model and analyze real-world situations and make predictions based on mathematical principles.

3. How do I solve a head scratching integral calculus homework problem?

Solving an integral calculus problem involves identifying the correct integration technique, applying the appropriate formula, and simplifying the resulting expression. It may also require using algebraic manipulation and trigonometric identities.

4. What are some common challenges when working on integral calculus homework?

Some common challenges when working on integral calculus homework include difficulty in identifying the correct integration technique, making mistakes in simplification, and not understanding the concept of the problem. It is essential to practice regularly and seek help from a teacher or tutor when needed.

5. How can I improve my understanding and skills in integral calculus?

To improve your understanding and skills in integral calculus, it is crucial to practice regularly and seek help when needed. It is also helpful to review the fundamental concepts and key formulas, and to work on a variety of problems that cover different integration techniques.