Why doesn't earthing always protect against transient overvoltage?

• Thread starter F.ono
  • Start date
In summary, there is a debate about the effectiveness of earthing in protecting against transient overvoltage in electrical systems. While it may provide safety benefits, it may not always protect electronics from damage. Overvoltage can degrade equipment and damage electronic components due to high frequency components and break down voltage.
F.ono
I've been reading about earthing of electrical systems. The book that I'm reading states that transient overvoltage occurs mainly on no earthed systems, but it doesn't explain why. Could someone enlighten me?
It also says that overvoltage can degrade equipments, damage electronic components... but I don't understand what happens physically. Could someone explain?

Engineering news on Phys.org
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ground_(electricity [Broken])

The wikipedia article mentions lightining as a possible source of overvoltage, line surges, and contact with higher voltage lines.

See "AC Power wiring installation"

Last edited by a moderator:
F.ono said:
I've been reading about earthing of electrical systems. The book that I'm reading states that transient overvoltage occurs mainly on no earthed systems, but it doesn't explain why. Could someone enlighten me?
It also says that overvoltage can degrade equipments, damage electronic components... but I don't understand what happens physically. Could someone explain?

I cannot agree with that totally. Trancient has very high frequency components, a cable to Earth ground do little about that. For safety, yes the earthed ground will be a lot better, but for protect the electronics, not always work.

All semi conductors have break down voltage. If you over drive input or output or even power pin of the device, you cause big current surge and damage the components. I work with HV, Earth ground do nothing to protect the instrument, it burn the components unless there is good protection.

What is overvoltage?

Overvoltage is a phenomenon that occurs when the voltage in an electrical system exceeds its normal operating level. This can happen due to various reasons such as lightning strikes, power surges, or faulty equipment.

What are the consequences of overvoltage?

The consequences of overvoltage can range from minor inconveniences such as flickering lights to serious damage to electrical equipment and even fires. Overvoltage can also cause power outages and disrupt the functioning of electronic devices.

How does overvoltage affect electrical equipment?

Overvoltage can cause damage to electrical equipment by exceeding the maximum voltage that the equipment is designed to handle. This can lead to malfunctions, shortened lifespan, or complete failure of the equipment.

How can overvoltage be prevented?

Overvoltage can be prevented by installing surge protectors or voltage regulators, which can divert excess voltage away from sensitive equipment. Proper grounding and regular maintenance of electrical systems can also help prevent overvoltage.

What should I do if I experience overvoltage?

If you experience overvoltage, it is important to shut off all electrical equipment and appliances to avoid damage. Contact a licensed electrician to inspect and repair any faulty wiring or equipment. It is also advisable to install surge protectors to prevent future overvoltage incidents.