Understanding my Physics Book

In summary, the conversation is about a sample problem in a physics book that involves finding the linear acceleration of a rod with an angular acceleration of 3g/4. The conversation discusses using the equation a = \alpha R and clarifies why L/2 is used in determining torque due to the weight of the rod.
UrbanXrisis
The sample problem in my physics book that I do not understand is http://home.earthlink.net/~urban-xrisis/clip001.jpg [Broken]

The only thing that I do not understand is the LAST sentance...
For example,the middle of the rod has an acceleration of 3g/4

I'm pretty sure that they are talking about the centripetal acceleration but they do not show how they got it. The book stops there. Any ideas of how they got 3g/4?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes,[tex] \alpha=\frac{3g}{2L} [/tex]

.So for the middle of the rod,the linear acceleration is:

[tex] a=\alpha\times\frac{L}{2} [/tex]

which gives the answer you asked about.

Daniel.

why was (L/2) used for the original equation that asked for the linear acceleration of the whole rod?

UrbanXrisis said:
why was (L/2) used for the original equation that asked for the linear acceleration of the whole rod?
What equation are you referring to? While the rod has a single angular acceleration, the linear acceleration varies along the length (as Daniel illustrated): [itex]a = \alpha R[/itex], where R is the distance from the pivot.

L/2 is used in determining the torque due to the weight of the rod, which acts at the center of mass.

What is physics?

Physics is the branch of science that deals with the study of matter, energy, and their interactions. It is a fundamental science that seeks to understand the fundamental laws and principles that govern the universe.

Why is it important to understand my physics book?

Understanding your physics book is important because it provides you with the necessary knowledge and skills to understand and apply the principles of physics in real-world situations. It also lays the foundation for further studies in the field of science and technology.

What are the basic concepts in physics?

The basic concepts in physics include motion, forces, energy, momentum, and thermodynamics. These concepts form the building blocks for understanding more complex principles in physics.

How can I improve my understanding of physics?

To improve your understanding of physics, it is important to actively engage with the material by reading, practicing problems, and seeking help from a teacher or tutor if needed. It is also helpful to make connections between different concepts and to apply them to real-world situations.

What are some common misconceptions about physics?

Some common misconceptions about physics include thinking that it is only for geniuses, that it only applies to theoretical concepts, or that it is not relevant to everyday life. In reality, physics is for everyone, it has practical applications in various fields, and it helps us understand the world around us.