Does light have a frame of reference?

In summary, a user on Reddit shared a discussion about the concept of frame of reference and light in relation to special relativity. However, it was noted that the opinions expressed on the platform may not always be accurate or valid. It was also discussed how the concept of an "infinite momentum" frame does not make sense in the context of special relativity.
tahayassen
I know that you're going to probably say that a frame of reference doesn't make sense for light, but I've uploaded a discussion (warning: has profanity) from another website (reddit.com) and I'm curious to see if the user Imhtpsnvsbl makes a valid point.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
That is utter rubbish in the context of SR. Don't depend on posts from people on reddit of all places. You can't even argue with claims like that because they are just random nonsense. As far as SR is concerned, it doesn't make sense to lorentz boost to the frame of a photon.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say there is no such thing as an "infinite momentum" frame. That would require that the particle be AT c, which is not possible.

Ah, I suspected so. The wrong opinion was being upvoted/liked which confused me.

tahayassen said:
Ah, I suspected so. The wrong opinion was being upvoted/liked which confused me.

One major reason why we don't have a vote system here on PF. It's utter nonsense since popularity means squat when it comes to science.

1. Does light have a frame of reference?

Light does not have a frame of reference in the traditional sense. According to Albert Einstein's theory of relativity, the speed of light is constant and the same for all observers regardless of their frame of reference.

2. What is a frame of reference?

A frame of reference is a set of coordinates used to describe the position and motion of an object. It is a point of view from which measurements are taken.

3. Can an observer's frame of reference affect the speed of light?

No, the speed of light is constant and unaffected by an observer's frame of reference. This is one of the key principles of Einstein's theory of relativity.

4. How does the concept of a frame of reference relate to the theory of relativity?

The theory of relativity states that the laws of physics are the same for all observers, regardless of their frame of reference. This means that there is no absolute frame of reference and all motion is relative.

5. Is the speed of light always the same in all frames of reference?

Yes, according to the theory of relativity, the speed of light is the same in all frames of reference. This is known as the speed of light postulate and has been confirmed by numerous experiments and observations.