Geometry Problem involving packing Hexagons into Circles

In summary, the conversation discusses the task of packing hexagonal shapes into circular areas, with a given radius of 0.105m. The goal is to maximize the area covered with a given amount of shapes while keeping them flat and not manipulating them. The speaker mentions their experiments with different circular sizes and the difference between the expected number of shapes and the actual number that fit. They also ask if there is a relationship between the hexagon's area and different circle areas. Another person suggests taking a patch of hexagons and drawing a circle on it to find a possible relation between the two.
chriscots
Hello All,

I have been give a particular task with packing hexagonal shapes with radius 0.105m, into different circular areas. This is not a 3D problem, and I have been trying to search for answers on the topic of "packing" but haven't seemed to find any that fit my requirements.

So the idea is I need the shapes to stay flat and they cannot be manipulated. I want to maximize the area covered in the circle with a given amount of hexagonal shapes. For instance in a 2 foot=0.6096m diameter circular shape I can fit around 7 hexagonal shapes. Even though the logical answer is around 21 the geometry behind it allows me to comfortably pack 7.

The same sort of experiment took place with a 4.64m diamater circlular shape. Mathematically from formulas I can fit 539 of these shapes comfortably. (Area hexagon =0.0286m^2 and Area of circle=16.97m^2, but 16.97/0.0286=593?! So a difference of 44 shapes not needed cause they don't fit.

I guess my overall question is their a relationship between this particular hexagons area and different areas of any circles? I don't want one hexagon inscribed in one circle, it's many little hexagons in any particular sized circle.

Thanks in advance for any help,

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi

I don't have the answer right away, but to find something like this out I would start by taking a big patch of hexagon's of the size you want (like this http://blog.wuphonsreach.org/2010/09/civ5-blank-hexagon-grid-images-24x24.html) and drawing the circle on it.

Then if they are made to fit you can see the general "shape" the hexagon' s are in (a sort of zigzag lined hexagon) then work from there to find a relation between te area of such a shape that would fit into the area of a circle (i.e. if you add another ring of hexagon's you have to much area and it won't fit) in terms of the area of the hexagon (or radii of both of course).

Good luck!

1. How many hexagons can be packed into a circle?

The maximum number of hexagons that can be packed into a circle depends on the size of the hexagons and the circle. In general, the closer the size of the hexagons to the size of the circle, the more can be packed. However, it is mathematically proven that the maximum number of hexagons that can be packed into a circle is 6.

2. What is the shape of the space between the hexagons when packed into a circle?

The space between the hexagons when packed into a circle is known as a hexagonal lattice, which is a repeating pattern of hexagons. This lattice is often seen in nature, such as in the structure of a honeycomb.

3. Can other shapes be packed into a circle like hexagons can?

Yes, other shapes can be packed into a circle, but the maximum number of shapes that can be packed will vary. For example, triangles can also be packed into a circle, but the maximum number is 12. Squares can also be packed into a circle, but the maximum number is only 4.

4. How is the packing efficiency of hexagons into a circle calculated?

The packing efficiency is calculated by dividing the total area of the hexagons by the area of the circle. The closer the result is to 1, the more efficient the packing is. For hexagons, the packing efficiency is approximately 0.9069.

5. Are there any real-world applications for this geometry problem?

Yes, this geometry problem has real-world applications in areas such as crystallography, where the packing of atoms in a crystal structure can be modeled using hexagonal lattices. It is also used in the design of packaging materials to optimize space and minimize waste.