Dimensions for a Steam Piston Valve

In summary, a piston valve is needed that can handle a large quantity of air, but Google wasn't very helpful in finding one. The person looked for drawings of D-slide valves but none were found. He found a museum that might have the drawings, but needs to confirm.
thefrendlyghst
Hello, I'm Nate, and I'm looking to build a compressed-air engine. I'm using a pneumatic cylinder with a 3" bore and a 12" stroke. That was simple enough to find. What hasn't been simple to find is a manual valve large enough to actuate it. I've found small 5-way valves on ebay and amazon, but they don't allow enough air to pass through them to make them practicable. So I started looking for another way to get what I need... google. Unfortunately, google isn't as helpful as I thought it would be. I've found a few photos of D-slide valves, but nothing for a double-acting cylinder that actually has dimensions written in. I thought about (and tried, unsuccessfully) loading one of these pictures into AutoCAD and extracting the dimensions, but the pictures are either too grainy or too inaccurate, or just plain won't work with the program.

So, does anyone know where I can find actual dimension drawings of a piston type valve? Like I said, I'm using a cylinder with a 3" bore and a 12" stroke, so my piston valve has to be able to handle a large quantity of air passing through.

I've done a lot of research on this, so please don't go about trying to convince me of a better design. Also I have access to a machine shop that includes CNC mills, engine lathes, and manual mills, so I can make the parts myself if I have the dimensions. I don't want to mess around with D-slide valves, because they're more difficult to machine manually, and I have to have this done by the middle of May.

Engineering news on Phys.org
This may not be any use, but have you tried any of the railroad museums? They do have the old gear and the documentation, although whether in digital format I have no idea.
Good on you for building your own engine!
Remember to heat the air intake, as the expanding air will cool pretty significantly. You could use hydrogen, which does not have that problem, but of course that too has tradeoffs.

1. What are the important dimensions for a steam piston valve?

The important dimensions for a steam piston valve include the valve seat diameter, valve stem diameter, valve stem length, valve stroke, and valve face angle.

2. How is the valve seat diameter determined?

The valve seat diameter is typically determined by the size of the valve port and the required flow rate. It is important to ensure that the valve seat diameter is neither too small nor too large for the intended application.

3. What is the significance of the valve stroke in a steam piston valve?

The valve stroke refers to the distance the valve travels from fully closed to fully open. It is an important dimension as it affects the amount of steam that can flow through the valve and can impact the overall performance of the valve.

4. How is the valve face angle determined?

The valve face angle is typically determined based on the valve seat angle and the type of sealing mechanism used. A larger valve face angle can provide a better seal, but may also require more force to open and close the valve.

5. Can the dimensions of a steam piston valve be customized for specific applications?

Yes, the dimensions of a steam piston valve can be customized to meet the specific requirements of a particular application. This may include adjusting the valve seat diameter, valve stroke, or valve face angle to optimize performance.