Help preparing to teach HS physics

• Thread starter WalterND14
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary: Another site has a collection of Physics demos that use Java and the Open Source Physics library to construct interactive simulations: on a variety of topicswww.compadre.org/ospAnd then there's Khan's Academy where you could assign watching specific videos as homework and then do your problem sets in class where students can ask questions. Some California schools are using this strategy in their classes. Students like it because the stress of watching the video is a lot less than doing the problems without a teachers guiding hand.www.khanacademy.com
WalterND14
Hi all,
Next fall (a year from now), I will (hopefully) be teaching high school physics. I've thought for a few years now while an undergrad majoring in physics that I would like to be a teacher, and if things happen like I hope they will, I will be getting my first experience as a teacher in a year.

The first thing I am wondering is if anyone on here knows a quality high school-level textbook with a solutions manual that I can go through entirely over the course of this year to (a) refresh myself on high school-level material and (b) get an idea of what kinds of problems to put on homework and tests?

I also am thinking of buying a (used) textbook or two for AP Physics to go through all of that as well. Anyone have recommendations for those?

Finally, can any of the experienced high school teachers on here give me an idea of what to expect and how to prepare? I'd really like to incorporate a good deal of demonstrations and hands-on activities because those, for me at least, were what really got me interested in physics in the first place, but it would be helpful to know if that idea is a bad one...

Basically, any and all help that you all can give would be greatly appreciated!
(My apologies if I've been a noob and posted this in the wrong place...)
Thanks!
-Walter

Science news on Phys.org
One book I saw that may be helpful as a reference on how to structure your course for any given topic:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0521138213/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Another site has a collection of Physics demos that use Java and the Open Source Physics library to construct interactive simulations: on a variety of topics

www.compadre.org/osp

And then there's Khan's Academy where you could assign watching specific videos as homework and then do your problem sets in class where students can ask questions. Some California schools are using this strategy in their classes. Students like it because the stress of watching the video is a lot less than doing the problems without a teachers guiding hand.

www.khanacademy.com

Last edited:
I am taking physics my junior year of high school currently and will link you to my current teachers page, whom I might add does an astounding job of teaching, most notably to the students who have no philosophical understanding of physics. Which in most cases is your target audience. On his page he has a few samples of weekly lesson plans. I can also provide you with information on our current text which covers significant digits to nuclear physics. At your request of course.

@Jedishrfu - Thank you for your help. I don't know if I really am interested in the book since it is for IB, and that's not really what I'm looking into. The other two sites do look helpful, though, so thank you.

@Dohbis - I would greatly appreciate both. I am more interested in the textbook, as I don't want to simply take what someone else has put work into. If it is really well done, I may ask his permission, but at this point, just having a book I know is in use and considered well-written to work with would be great.

Also, sorry to say Dohbis: Go Irish! Sparty's going down :) (and I'll be there to watch my school do it)

WalterND14 said:
Hi all,
Next fall (a year from now), I will (hopefully) be teaching high school physics. I've thought for a few years now while an undergrad majoring in physics that I would like to be a teacher, and if things happen like I hope they will, I will be getting my first experience as a teacher in a year.

The first thing I am wondering is if anyone on here knows a quality high school-level textbook with a solutions manual that I can go through entirely over the course of this year to (a) refresh myself on high school-level material and (b) get an idea of what kinds of problems to put on homework and tests?

I also am thinking of buying a (used) textbook or two for AP Physics to go through all of that as well. Anyone have recommendations for those?

Finally, can any of the experienced high school teachers on here give me an idea of what to expect and how to prepare? I'd really like to incorporate a good deal of demonstrations and hands-on activities because those, for me at least, were what really got me interested in physics in the first place, but it would be helpful to know if that idea is a bad one...

Basically, any and all help that you all can give would be greatly appreciated!
(My apologies if I've been a noob and posted this in the wrong place...)
Thanks!
-Walter
PF is a good resource.

Also - Hyperphysics is a good resource for introductory material.
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/hframe.html

This might be a good textbook for a teacher - http://www.wiley.com/WileyCDA/WileyTitle/productCd-0471739103,descCd-tableOfContents.html

To be a high school teacher, you need to work on acquiring more physics knowledge than 'the high school level'. I would recommend an Introductory College physics book. If you are from USA, you will also take the Praxis exam.

Gamma said:
To be a high school teacher, you need to work on acquiring more physics knowledge than 'the high school level'. I would recommend an Introductory College physics book. If you are from USA, you will also take the Praxis exam.

Sorry Gamma, maybe I should've been clearer about my studies - when I said I've been majoring in Physics, that statement means I'm receiving a B.S. in Physics (4-year University program studying physics), so I'd like to think my knowledge goes beyond "the high school level". I just want to refresh myself (after taking classes like Quantum Mechanics) on topics and the level of material covered in high schools. Therefore, studying a college physics book doesn't do me much good - I'm trying to prepare for teaching students their first year of high school physics as well as potentially teaching AP physics.

sorry for mis-understanding!

I am a certified physics teacher now working as an assistant professor. So I have seen both sides. Have you come across Conceptual Physics by Hewitt? This is a good book which explains physics concepts without too much math. In fact, it is good for intro undergrads as well because they are very unprepared these days.

What is the best way to prepare for teaching high school physics?

The best way to prepare for teaching high school physics is to have a strong understanding of the subject matter. This can be achieved by taking courses in physics, attending workshops and conferences, and reading textbooks and research articles. It is also important to familiarize yourself with the curriculum and standards of the school or district where you will be teaching.

What resources are available to help me prepare for teaching high school physics?

There are many resources available to help you prepare for teaching high school physics. Some options include online courses, textbooks, lesson plans and activities, educational websites, and professional development opportunities. It can also be helpful to connect with other physics teachers and join online communities to share ideas and resources.

How can I make physics more engaging and interesting for high school students?

One way to make physics more engaging for high school students is to incorporate hands-on activities and experiments into your lessons. This can help students see the real-world applications of physics and make the subject more relatable. It can also be helpful to use multimedia and technology, such as simulations and videos, to make the material more interactive and engaging.

What are some common challenges that high school physics teachers face?

Some common challenges that high school physics teachers face include motivating students who may not be interested in the subject, adapting lessons for students with different learning styles and abilities, and keeping up with new developments and advancements in the field. Time management and classroom management can also be challenges for teachers.

How can I prepare for teaching high school physics without a background in the subject?

If you do not have a background in physics, it is important to take courses and attend workshops to develop your understanding of the subject. You can also seek assistance from experienced physics teachers and use online resources to supplement your knowledge. It may also be helpful to work closely with a mentor or participate in a teacher training program.