Solving a First Order DE: y'+ycot(x)=cos(x)

In summary: C}{\sin x}.In summary, the integrating factor method was used to solve the first order differential equation y'+ycot(x)=cos(x). The solution obtained was y = -\frac{1}{2}\cot x + \frac{C}{\sin x}, which can also be expressed as y = \csc x - \sin x.
iRaid

Homework Statement

[tex]y'+ycot(x)=cos(x)[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

First I found the integrating factor:
[tex]\rho (x)=e^{\int cot(x)dx}=e^{ln(sinx)}=sinx[/tex]
Plug into the equation for first order DE...
[tex]\int \frac{d}{dx} ysinx=\int cosxsinx dx[/tex]
End up with:
[tex]ysinx=\frac{-cos^{2}x}{2}+C\\y=\frac{-cosxcotx}{2}+\frac{C}{sinx}[/tex]

I think that's wrong tho..

Physics news on Phys.org
iRaid said:

Homework Statement

[tex]y'+ycot(x)=cos(x)[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

First I found the integrating factor:
[tex]\rho (x)=e^{\int cot(x)dx}=e^{ln(sinx)}=sinx[/tex]
Plug into the equation for first order DE...
[tex]\int \frac{d}{dx} ysinx=\int cosxsinx dx[/tex]
End up with:
[tex]ysinx=\frac{-cos^{2}x}{2}+C\\y=\frac{-cosxcotx}{2}+\frac{C}{sinx}[/tex]

I think that's wrong tho..

You have the right answer. But since [itex]\cos^2 x + \sin^2 x = 1[/itex], it follows that [itex](\sin^2 x)' = -(\cos^2 x)'[/itex]. Perhaps it would have been better to take [itex]\sin x \cos x = \frac12(\sin^2 x)'[/itex], since you have [itex](y\sin x)'[/itex] on the other side of the equation.

You can in any event use [itex]\cos^2 x + \sin^2 x = 1[/itex] to simplify your answer:
[tex]
\frac{\cos^2 x}{\sin x} = \frac{1 - \sin^2 x}{\sin x} = \frac{1}{\sin x} - \sin x[/tex]

1. How do I solve a first order differential equation with a cotangent term?

The first step in solving this type of differential equation is to rewrite it in standard form, which means moving all the terms to the same side and isolating the derivative of y. In this case, we would subtract ycot(x) from both sides to get y'=-ycot(x)+cos(x).

2. Can I use separation of variables to solve this differential equation?

Yes, separation of variables is one of the methods that can be used to solve this type of differential equation. This method involves separating the variables on opposite sides of the equation and then integrating both sides.

3. Are there any other methods for solving first order differential equations with trigonometric terms?

Yes, there are several other methods that can be used, such as substitution, exact equations, and integrating factors. It is important to choose the method that is most suitable for the specific equation at hand.

4. How can I check if my solution to the differential equation is correct?

You can check your solution by plugging it back into the original equation and seeing if it satisfies the equation. You can also take the derivative of your solution and see if it matches the original equation.

5. Can I use a graphing calculator to solve this differential equation?

While graphing calculators can be helpful in visualizing solutions to differential equations, they are not typically used for actually solving the equations. It is best to use mathematical methods to find a solution rather than relying on technology.