Alternatives to PF? Solid State Physics Course

• Thread starter Turion
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulties of a course on Solid State Physics due to the lack of a solutions manual and limited resources for help. The homework is mandatory and must be completed with minimal assistance, leading to the suggestion of using homework help services or hiring a tutor. It is also mentioned that certain members of the community have a good track record for providing correct answers, making them a reliable source of assistance.
Turion
I'm doing a course on Solid State Physics and the textbook doesn't have a solutions manual. From what I've understood from previous students, the textbook does a great job of explaining the concepts but the problems are very hard and the textbook doesn't prepare you for them. My professor's office hours is only 2 hours a week in one time slot, and we don't have any tutorials for this course so the only help I can get is from the professor (which is minimal at best because I don't want to wait a week for feedback). The homework is mandatory and will be checked so I can't use another textbook. My only option is to use homework help services which are not reliable as they're a voluntary service. I feel like my best best is to gather as many of these services as possible. I'm aware of jiskha.com and allaboutcircuits.com but are there any others? I guess my other option is to hire a tutor.

Physics news on Phys.org
When you drive a Ferrari you don't ask about alternative cars. PF is the Ferrari. If you want to know about Chevrolet, Ford or Kia then yes we can tell you about these places, but why when you have a Ferrari? :)

Turion, if you're not certain of a member's answers, check to see if they are designated a Homework Helper or Science Advisor. These members have a good track record of correct answers. When you hire a tutor, there is no guarantee that they won't make mistakes, and usually don't have anyone looking at everything they do, as is usually the case here.

1. What is the purpose of studying alternatives to PF in a Solid State Physics course?

The purpose of studying alternatives to PF (Pfannenberg) in a Solid State Physics course is to understand the various materials and techniques that can be used in place of PF for various applications. This allows students to broaden their knowledge and gain a deeper understanding of the principles and concepts behind solid state physics.

2. What are some common alternatives to PF used in the field of solid state physics?

Some common alternatives to PF used in the field of solid state physics include thermoelectric materials, piezoelectric materials, and ferroelectric materials. These materials have unique properties that make them suitable for various applications, such as cooling, sensing, and energy harvesting.

3. How do these alternatives compare to PF in terms of performance and cost?

The performance and cost of alternatives to PF can vary depending on the specific application and material being used. In general, these alternatives can offer similar or even better performance compared to PF, but may come at a higher cost. However, advancements in technology and manufacturing processes continue to make these alternatives more affordable.

4. What are some current research and developments in alternatives to PF?

There is ongoing research and development in the field of solid state physics to explore new materials and techniques that can be used as alternatives to PF. Some current areas of focus include the use of organic materials, nanotechnology, and advanced manufacturing processes to create more efficient and cost-effective alternatives.

5. How can a solid state physics course prepare students for working with alternatives to PF in the real world?

A solid state physics course can provide students with a strong foundation in the principles and concepts of solid state physics, which can be applied to understanding and working with alternatives to PF. Additionally, hands-on laboratory experiments and projects can help students gain practical experience and develop critical thinking skills that are necessary for working with these alternatives in the real world.