Helping Unprepared Students: The Ironies and Challenges

• Thread starter jackmell
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the issue of students not being able to show their work in order to get help due to the forum rules. The participants have different opinions on this matter, with some believing that students should at least have some knowledge and attempt to solve the problem before asking for help, while others argue that students may be overwhelmed and need a nudge to get started. The conversation also touches on the importance of teaching students how to fish and the effort it takes for helpers to guide students to discover solutions on their own.
brmath said:
Yes, students who are totally unprepared for the classes they are in are a problem. It should be the school's problem, but it winds up in our laps when the student asks for help. It is hard to know what to tell them. "Drop this class and study h.s. algebra" does not seem appropriate, although it might be the most accurate.
During the 18 years that I taught math in a community college (a two-year college), I had a handful of students who were so woefully unprepared for the class they were in that I advised them to drop the class and take one of the prereq classes. When I have come across similarly unprepared students here at PF, I didn't advise them to drop the class, but I did recommend that they allot some time reviewing the parts of algebra or whatever where they were having problems.

Physics news on Phys.org
Mark44 said:
During the 18 years that I taught math in a community college (a two-year college), I had a handful of students who were so woefully unprepared for the class they were in that I advised them to drop the class and take one of the prereq classes. When I have come across similarly unprepared students here at PF, I didn't advise them to drop the class, but I did recommend that they allot some time reviewing the parts of algebra or whatever where they were having problems.

A very sensible message. I wonder how many of them took your advice.