Number of Posts Not Increasing - Is There an Issue?

• Thread starter adjacent
  • Start date
In summary, the posts made by the user in the General Discussion forum don't count towards their total post count on the forums. This is to encourge users to stay on the forums and post more.
adjacent
Gold Member
I don't know whether this is a bug or not,but I've just noticed the number of posts made by me didn't increase.Is there any problem?

Physics news on Phys.org
Posts in GD don't count in the total given.

Why don't they just hide post count? What's the point of it?

It encourages some users to stay here and post more, and it gives a rough idea how active a user was in the past.

Hmm...I've been meaning to report this for sometime but was too lazy to create a thread-
The posts in the sub-forums of fun and games ie. photography forum etc. seem to count even though they belong to the Lounge...is this a bug or is it intentional?

ainster31 said:
Why don't they just hide post count? What's the point of it?

Along with what mfb said, I would add that it gives newbies in particular a sense of who is active on the forums. Certainly the amount of activity doesn't necessarily imply good answers, but it certainly shows that someone is interested in the discussions and it also shows that the poster hasn't made enough a lot of posts without haveing made enought bone-headed ones to get thrown off the forum :smile:

Enigman said:
Hmm...I've been meaning to report this for sometime but was too lazy to create a thread-
The posts in the sub-forums of fun and games ie. photography forum etc. seem to count even though they belong to the Lounge...is this a bug or is it intentional?

I'll look into this

I think it would be a good idea to have "reputation" and awards instead of post counts like in other forums.

Furthermore,it will be very helpful if there is a notification system like in facebook(but not exactly).The notification system should only notify the user if someone "tags" him/her in a post like this : @username etc.

Last edited:
We have recognition awards, there are Science Advisors, Homework Helpers, and right now we are having our annual member's choice awards.

What we don't want is to be like Facebook.

Likes 1 person
geezez, Evo. 25K posts??

i can't even count that far. maybe to the log of it.

Now remember only her posts outside of GD are counted.

Now you all know the real reason why we don't count posts in GD: if we did, Evo's post count would overflow and cause the server to crash. :eek:

what's "GD"? "G## D#mmit"? "General Dynamics" (not much different)?

sorry to be clueless.

rbj said:
what's "GD"? "G## D#mmit"? "General Dynamics" (not much different)?

sorry to be clueless.
You have more than 2200 posts and you seem to be a very old member of this forum(join date:2003).Still,you don't know what's GD?

adjacent said:
You have more than 2200 posts and you seem to be a very old member of this forum(join date:2003).

a while ago i was also a Sci Adviser until i asked Greg to take me offa the list (hey DaleSpam, i think i was the first to nominate you for Sci Adviser back in 2009 or something like that).

Still,you don't know what's GD?

hey, listen, anyone can be clueless. and even hypocritical, in a recent cosmology thread about fine-tuning, i was similarly surprized when someone said he didn't know what i meant by "FTU". i would have thought that "FT" should have been obvious. so me a hypocrite. and clueless.

so now i know. so posts to the General Discussions forum don't tally up in the vote count?

rbj said:
so posts to the General Discussions forum don't tally up in the vote count?
Right.

1. Why is the number of posts not increasing?

There could be several reasons for this issue. It could be a technical glitch, a problem with the server, or a restriction set by the website or platform. It is best to contact the website or platform's support team for further assistance.

2. Is this a common problem?

The frequency of this problem may vary depending on the website or platform. However, it is not uncommon for users to experience issues with their post count not increasing.

3. How long does it take for the number of posts to increase?

The time it takes for the number of posts to increase can vary depending on the website or platform. It is best to contact the website or platform's support team for more specific information.

4. Can I do anything to fix this issue?

If the issue is due to a technical glitch or server problem, it is best to wait for the issue to be resolved by the website or platform. However, if the issue persists, you can reach out to the support team for further assistance.

5. Will my posts eventually show up once the issue is resolved?

If the issue is resolved, your posts should show up within a reasonable amount of time. However, if the issue persists, it is best to reach out to the support team for further assistance.