FYI: Linguistics is a science - not a social science.

• Thread starter ainster31
  • Start date
In summary: :)No, I am not arguing that names are the be all and end all. I am arguing that the social sciences are not sciences in the same way that, say, physics is a science.
ainster31
I figured I'd let you know.

Physics news on Phys.org
Linguistics does fall under social science. I'm not sure what you are trying to say. There can be a cognitive science aspect, but overall, it falls under social science.

Linguistics, the systematic study of human language, lies at the crossroads of the humanities and the social sciences.

http://linguistics.cornell.edu/undergraduate/what_is_linguistics.cfm

Evo said:
Linguistics does fall under social science. I'm not sure what you are trying to say. There can be a cognitive science aspect, but overall, it falls under social science.

http://linguistics.cornell.edu/undergraduate/what_is_linguistics.cfm

Ah, it seems you're right. I saw "scientific study of language" in Wikipedia and thought it was a science.

If you want, you can point out that "psychology" is listed under "Medical Science" when it's actually a "social science".

...the crossroads of the humanities and the social sciences.

That sounds like a place you really really don't want to go to, unless you are playing a victim in a horror movie :smile:

Likes 1 person
AlephZero said:
That sounds like a place you really really don't want to go to, unless you are playing a victim in a horror movie :smile:
:tongue: It was a dark and scary night, I was at the crossroads of humanities and sociology, and an unshakeable feeling of dread overcame me...

Social sciences are still sciences, the clue is in the name.

Ryan_m_b said:
Social sciences are still sciences, the clue is in the name.

Yes, in the sense that "creative accounting" is about being creative.

Likes 1 person
AlephZero said:
Yes, in the sense that "creative accounting" is about being creative.

Are you suggesting that the social sciences should not be considered science? As they involve the collection of data and the formation and testing of hypotheses I can't see how anyone cod make that claim. Sure it's far easier to conduct an experiment in the natural sciences but that's no reason to discount them altogether. A lot of SS work is incredibly stringent with a high utility.

Ryan_m_b said:
Are you suggesting that the social sciences should not be considered science?
That's not what I wrote. But I am suggesting that your argument "X is a science, because it's name contains the word 'science' " is nonsense.

If you disagree, convince me that http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creation_science is a science.

AlephZero said:
That's not what I wrote. But I am suggesting that your argument "X is a science, because it's name contains the word 'science' " is nonsense.

If you disagree, convince me that http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creation_science is a science.

Ah I see. I was being flippant in my first post, not literally arguing that names are the be all and end all.

Last edited:

1. What is linguistics?

Linguistics is the scientific study of language, including its structure, history, and use. It examines the ways in which human beings use language to communicate, and how language is acquired, processed, and produced.

2. Is linguistics considered a science?

Yes, linguistics is considered a science because it uses the scientific method to study language. Linguists use empirical evidence and systematic observation to make theories and predictions about language.

3. What is the difference between linguistics and social sciences?

Linguistics is a science that focuses on the study of language, while social sciences focus on the study of human behavior and society. Although linguistics may intersect with social sciences in areas such as sociolinguistics, its main focus is on the scientific study of language itself.

4. How is linguistics related to other sciences?

Linguistics is an interdisciplinary field that draws on principles and methods from various sciences, including psychology, anthropology, computer science, and neuroscience. It also has connections to other fields such as philosophy, literature, and education.

5. How can linguistics be applied in real life?

Linguistics has many practical applications, such as language teaching, speech therapy, forensic linguistics, and natural language processing. It can also help us better understand how language is used in everyday life, leading to improved communication, language policies, and language preservation efforts.