Legalization of Marijuana, Obama's for it

• News
  • Thread starter Ashera
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses differing opinions on the legalization of marijuana, with one person expressing concern about potential health issues and the other supporting legalization at the state level with strict regulations. The mention of Obama's stance on the topic is also brought up.
Ashera
Are you for it or not? I'm not and I think it's going to bring more harm than good to the general population because there are people could get health issues smoking pot. What do you think?

And apparently, Obama's for it: do you agree with him or not?

Physics news on Phys.org
If a head count is really what you're after, maybe restart the thread with a poll?

Personally I favor legalization at the state level given my observation of the harm done by the drug war versus the the drug itself, along with a simultaneous strong condemnation of its use by leaders to indicate that which is legal is certainly not necessarily good for the user nor to be condoned. I think condemnation should be *at least* on a level with cigarette smoking, to include, say, high sales taxes, policy of immediate termination of government employees found high on the job. So, nobody goes to jail; they go home with a lighter wallet instead.

Ashera said:
Are you for it or not? I'm not and I think it's going to bring more harm than good to the general population because there are people could get health issues smoking pot. What do you think?

And apparently, Obama's for it: do you agree with him or not?
Welcome to the forum ashera, please read our rules.

If you wish to post about topics, please post links to the appropriate accepted research that backs your stand.

What is the current stance of the Obama administration on the legalization of marijuana?

The Obama administration has taken a more lenient stance on marijuana, with President Obama stating that he believes it is no more dangerous than alcohol and that enforcing federal marijuana laws in states that have legalized it would not be a priority.

What steps has the Obama administration taken towards the legalization of marijuana?

The Obama administration has allowed states to legalize marijuana for medical or recreational use without federal interference, as long as they have a regulatory system in place to control production and distribution.

What are the potential benefits of legalizing marijuana, according to the Obama administration?

The potential benefits of legalizing marijuana, according to the Obama administration, include increased tax revenue, reduced criminal justice costs, and reducing the disproportionate impact of marijuana laws on communities of color.

What are the potential drawbacks of legalizing marijuana, according to the Obama administration?

The potential drawbacks of legalizing marijuana, according to the Obama administration, include potential negative impacts on public health, such as increased use among youth, and concerns over impaired driving.

What is the current status of federal marijuana laws under the Obama administration?

The possession and use of marijuana remains illegal under federal law, but the Obama administration has chosen not to enforce these laws in states that have legalized marijuana. However, federal authorities may still enforce federal marijuana laws in these states under certain circumstances.