Latex Garbling Issues: Is It Just Me?

• LaTeX
  • Thread starter Saitama
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Latex
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with refreshing the page and issues with MathJax on the website. The issue is experienced by multiple users and it is suggested to use the latest version of Google Chrome. The new version of MathJax uses JavaScript to render LaTeX instead of storing images on the server.
Saitama
I have been facing this problem from quite some time. It usually gets ok after refreshing the page but now I sometimes need to refresh the page more than 2-3 times, its getting annoying. :grumpy:

Is someone else facing this problem or is it a problem on my end?

If it helps, I am using the latest version of Google Chrome.

Thanks!

Attachments

• latex garbled.png
    latex garbled.png
    16.8 KB · Views: 303
Physics news on Phys.org
If refreshing helps, it is because the image is cached on your computer.

There shouldn't be any image caching now that we use MathJax--it renders the LaTeX using Javascript.

Pranav, do you have problems with other sites that use MathJax? (e.g. MathOverflow?)

jhae2.718 said:
There shouldn't be any image caching now that we use MathJax--it renders the LaTeX using Javascript.

Pranav, do you have problems with other sites that use MathJax? (e.g. MathOverflow?)

I don't face any problems with other sites using MathJax. There is only one website I use besides PF. :)

Pranav-Arora said:
I have been facing this problem from quite some time. It usually gets ok after refreshing the page but now I sometimes need to refresh the page more than 2-3 times, its getting annoying. :grumpy:

Is someone else facing this problem or is it a problem on my end?

If it helps, I am using the latest version of Google Chrome.

Thanks!

I have the same issue. I need to hit Refresh once or sometimes more than once to resolve it.

Chrome on Windows 8.

Didn't have a problem with the previous version of LaTex on the site - what happened then was we'd merely see the tags without the LaTex being rendered until we refreshed it. But never garbled like this.

Curious3141 said:
Didn't have a problem with the previous version of LaTex on the site - what happened then was we'd merely see the tags without the LaTex being rendered until we refreshed it. But never garbled like this.

Previous version used images generated locally and served then - unfortunately, it used way too much resources with millions of images being stored on the server. New version renders LaTeX client side - that is, what you see is drawn locally by the JavaScript (www.mathjax.org).

1. What is latex garbling and why does it happen?

Latex garbling is a common issue that occurs when using the Latex document preparation system. It refers to the distortion or misinterpretation of characters, symbols, or equations in a Latex document. This can happen due to various factors such as incorrect syntax, incompatible packages, or errors in the code.

2. How can I fix latex garbling issues in my document?

The first step in fixing latex garbling issues is to carefully check your code for any errors or missing packages. You can also try using a different Latex compiler or editor, as they may have different default settings that can affect the output. Additionally, you can seek help from online forums or consult with experienced Latex users for troubleshooting assistance.

3. Is latex garbling a common problem for all Latex users?

Latex garbling can affect all users of the Latex system, regardless of their experience level. However, it may occur more frequently for beginners who are not familiar with the syntax and package dependencies in Latex. With practice and attention to detail, most users can avoid or quickly resolve latex garbling issues.

4. Can outdated Latex packages cause garbling issues?

Yes, outdated packages can contribute to latex garbling issues. As new versions of Latex are released, some packages may become obsolete or incompatible with the updated system. It is recommended to regularly update your Latex packages to avoid any potential garbling issues.

5. Are there any tools or resources to help identify and fix latex garbling issues?

There are various online tools and resources available to help identify and fix latex garbling issues. These include online Latex editors with built-in error detection, code checkers, and debugging tools. You can also find numerous online tutorials and forums where experienced users share tips and solutions for common latex garbling problems.