Natural frequency calculation

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of resonant frequency for a cantilever beam of SiO2, and how to account for changes in frequency when the beam is coated with a gold layer. The calculation involves using equations for mass, moment of inertia, and spring constant, and checking for consistency in notation and methodology. The conversation also references a similar paper for comparison and suggests going back to first principles to derive a new formula for the coated beam.
visuk
A Cantilever beam of SiO2 of length 100μm, width 20μm and thickness of 5μm. How to calculate the resonant frequency? I know f=1/2∏√(k/m) where k=3EI/L^3 and mass = l*w*h *ρ (density) and I = w*t^3/12, but i don't get the desired answer. pl correct me.

What changes are to be considered for the natural frequency if the cantilever is coated by a gold layer of 0.5μm uniform thickness forming a composite beam.

thanks in advance.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF;
visuk said:
A Cantilever beam of SiO2 of length 100μm, width 20μm and thickness of 5μm. How to calculate the resonant frequency? I know f=1/2∏√(k/m) where k=3EI/L^3 and mass = l*w*h *ρ (density) and I = w*t^3/12, but i don't get the desired answer. pl correct me.
Please show how you did the calculation.
What was the desired answer?

What changes are to be considered for the natural frequency if the cantilever is coated by a gold layer of 0.5μm uniform thickness forming a composite beam.
Depends on how you model the coating - would it act a bit like putting two springs in parallel?
Perhaps you course notes include some example of the kind of model you are expected to use?

By substituting the values, I got mass = 2.2*10^-8 gm, I=2.08*10^-22 m^4, K=4.56*10^4g/s^2, f= 229KHz . But the expected freq is 82KHz. Pl Check. Thank you for the response.

Yes! The gold coating will act like two springs in parallel.

Since you basically just plugged numbers into a formula, and got the wrong answer, then you either got bad arithmetic, or the wrong equation.

Off your notes post #1:$$\omega = \sqrt{\frac{k}{m}}$$... is correct - so you want to look closely at the substitutions.
Work through the problem carefully, documenting each step, try to be consistent with your notation.

sorry for the trouble, i am working for the theoretical frequency calculation of a SiO2 cantilever with gold coating. I came across a similar paper which has the result given for the resonant frequency of a polysilicon cantilever with gold coating.

RESULT:
The frequency of polysilicon cantilever is 9.35KHz,
and the frequency with gold coating is 19.7KHz

Kindly check the attachment for my calculations for the same dimensions given in that paper. My result is 8.69KHz instead of 9.35KHz. Kindly help.

Attachments

• Book1.xlsx
    9.3 KB · Views: 357
I'm not in the habit of checking people's arithmetic - that often results in me doing their work for them ;)
If you get a different figure from someone else, i.e. in the paper, then go through their calculation carefully and see where they do something different to you. If you don't understand part of the calculation, I can help you with that.

It can also hep to check your course notes against another source.
http://iitg.vlab.co.in/?sub=62&brch=175&sim=1080&cnt=1

1. What is natural frequency calculation?

Natural frequency calculation is a mathematical process used to determine the resonance frequency of a physical system. It involves analyzing the mass, stiffness, and damping properties of the system to determine its natural frequency.

2. Why is natural frequency calculation important?

Natural frequency calculation is important because it helps engineers and scientists understand the behavior and response of a system to external forces. It is crucial in designing structures and machines that can withstand vibrations and oscillations without failure.

3. What factors affect natural frequency?

The natural frequency of a system is affected by its mass, stiffness, and damping. An increase in mass or stiffness will result in a higher natural frequency, while an increase in damping will decrease the natural frequency.

4. How is natural frequency calculated?

Natural frequency can be calculated using the equation f = (1/2π) x √(k/m), where f is the natural frequency, k is the stiffness of the system, and m is the mass of the system. This equation is based on the fundamental properties of simple harmonic motion.

5. Can natural frequency be changed?

Yes, the natural frequency of a system can be changed by altering its mass, stiffness, or damping properties. This can be achieved through design modifications or by adding external elements such as dampers to the system.