PhD on LGC (UK): What's the best option?

• Thread starter _Daniel_
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Phd Uk
In summary, when deciding on a PhD program in LQG, it's important to consider the research focus and resources of each supervisor at the universities of Newcastle, Aberdeen, and Nottingham. It's also important to take into account the city and quality of life in each location. Ultimately, the decision should be based on personal preferences and what feels like the best fit for the individual.
_Daniel_
Hello guys! I hope that you could help me. I want to do my PhD on LQG at the UK and I have the following options:

1. Newcastle, with David Toms. (His research area is QFT on curved spacetime but he liked my project on LQG)
  2. Aberdeen, with Charles Wang
  3. Nottingham, with Kirill Krasnov or John Barret (not decided yet)

Also, I have the following options, not exactly related on LQG:
  • Sheffield, with Elizabeth Winstanley (on Quantum Gravity and Black Holes)
  • Queen Mary, with Juan Valiente Kroon (on Mathematical Relativity)

I wish to choose the better option based not only in prestige and productivity of supervisor / group, but also taking into account the university and the quality of life in their respective cities. Any information is welcome.

Thanks for the help!

Physics news on Phys.org
It really depends on what your personal preferences are. It's important to consider the research focus of each supervisor and the university's resources available to you. It's also important to consider the city and its quality of life, such as cost of living, safety, public transportation, cultural activities, etc. Depending on what is important to you, it may be helpful to look into each option more closely and visit the universities if possible. Ultimately, the decision is yours to make, so choose what feels right for you. Good luck!

1. What is LGC (UK) and why is it a popular option for pursuing a PhD?

LGC (UK) stands for Laboratory of the Government Chemist, which is a leading provider of analytical, forensic, and regulatory services in the United Kingdom. It is a popular option for pursuing a PhD because of its reputation for high-quality research and its collaborations with industry partners.

2. What are the benefits of pursuing a PhD at LGC (UK)?

Some of the benefits of pursuing a PhD at LGC (UK) include access to state-of-the-art facilities and equipment, opportunities to work on real-world research projects, and the potential for collaborations with industry partners. Additionally, LGC (UK) has a strong network of alumni who have gone on to successful careers in various industries.

3. Are there any specific areas of research that LGC (UK) specializes in?

LGC (UK) has expertise in a wide range of areas, including food and drink analysis, environmental analysis, pharmaceutical analysis, and forensic science. They also have a focus on research related to quality control and assurance, method development, and validation.

4. What is the application process for a PhD at LGC (UK)?

The application process for a PhD at LGC (UK) typically involves submitting a research proposal, academic transcripts, and letters of recommendation. Applicants may also be required to have an interview with potential supervisors and demonstrate their research abilities through previous academic work or publications.

5. Can international students apply for a PhD at LGC (UK)?

Yes, international students are welcome to apply for a PhD at LGC (UK). However, they may be required to meet certain language proficiency requirements and may need to obtain a visa to study in the UK. It is advisable to check with the university and relevant authorities for specific requirements and processes for international students.