Where do the coefficients in this vector equation come from?

• Thread starter mathsdespair
  • Start date
In summary, the given numbers in vertical form represent vectors, with the first number in front of vector one and so on. The coefficients are derived from the given equations, with the last term possibly being a typo and intended to be "x2-x4". However, it is unclear what the intended result of the equations should be.
mathsdespair
x1 1 1 0 0
x2 0 0 1 1
x3 = 1 + -1 + 0 + 0 Each of these numbers in vertical form are meant to be
x4 0 0 1 -1 vectors

Where do these coefficients come from 0.5(x1+x3) 0.5(x1-x3) 0.5(x2+x4) 0.5(x2=x4)
The first coefficient goes in front of vector one and so on..

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you should start from the beginning. Also fix typos.

It's impossible to tell what you mean. I presume that you intended to say
[tex]\begin{bmatrix}x_1 & x_2 & x_3 & x_4\end{bmatrix}= \begin{bmatrix}1 & 1 & 0 & 0 \\ 0 & 0 & 1 & 1 \\ 1 & -1 & 0 & 0 \\ 0 & 0 & 1 & -1\end{bmatrix}[/tex]
or
[tex]\begin{bmatrix}x_1 \\ x_2 \\ x_3 \\ x_4\end{bmatrix}= \begin{bmatrix}1 & 1 & 0 & 0 \\ 0 & 0 & 1 & 1 \\ 1 & -1 & 0 & 0 \\ 0 & 0 & 1 & -1\end{bmatrix}[/tex] But I don't know what "0.5(x1+x3) 0.5(x1-x3) 0.5(x2+x4) 0.5(x2=x4)" is supposed to mean. I presume that last is supposed to be "x2- x4". What were those terms supposed to equal?

What does "Understanding this step" mean?

"Understanding this step" refers to comprehending the purpose and importance of a particular step in a scientific process or experiment. It involves being able to explain the reasoning behind the step and how it contributes to the overall goal of the research.

Why is it important to understand each step in a scientific process?

Understanding each step in a scientific process is crucial for ensuring the validity and accuracy of the results. It allows scientists to identify any potential errors or biases and make necessary adjustments. Additionally, comprehending each step helps in replicating the experiment and building upon the findings in future research.

How can I improve my understanding of each step in a scientific process?

To improve your understanding of each step in a scientific process, it is important to have a strong foundation in the relevant scientific principles and theories. It is also helpful to carefully read and analyze the research protocol or methodology, and to discuss any uncertainties or questions with colleagues or mentors.

What happens if I don't fully understand a step in a scientific process?

If you do not fully understand a step in a scientific process, it is important to seek clarification or guidance from someone with more expertise. It is not advisable to proceed with the research until you have a thorough understanding of each step, as this could lead to inaccurate results or potential harm to participants or the environment.

Can I skip a step in a scientific process if I don't understand it?

No, it is not recommended to skip a step in a scientific process, even if you do not fully understand it. Each step is designed to contribute to the overall research goal, and skipping a step could compromise the validity and reliability of the results. It is important to seek assistance in understanding the step before moving forward with the research.