Deciding Between Calc 1 and Trig 1 in College

In summary, if you have never taken trigonometry before, it is recommended to take it first before calculus. This is because trigonometry is used in many math classes at the calculus level and above. However, if your precalculus class has a significant component on trigonometry, then taking precalculus instead of trigonometry would also be fine. Ultimately, it is recommended to choose the course that interests you the most or is most useful to your future career. If you are unsure, you can consult the syllabus or ask a teacher or professor for advice.
Tyrion101
If I understand my next possibilities in college, I think I can take either calculus 1 or trig 1, which do I take?

Physics news on Phys.org
Tyrion101 said:
If I understand my next possibilities in college, I think I can take either calculus 1 or trig 1, which do I take?

If you never took trig before, then trig.

Tyrion101 said:
If I understand my next possibilities in college

After what?

College algebra

Tyrion101 said:
College algebra

I'm surprised you are even able to register for calculus with just college algebra. Do trig first, and perhaps precalc before tackling calculus.

What should be after college algebra?

Tyrion101 said:

Trig!

Tyrion101 said:
definitely trig. there are so many identities in my calc book that are used, where they don't tell you that's what their doing. you would be so lost if you didnt know that they were replacing stuff with identities. and understanding the unit circle is always nice.

It varies some schools do all the trig stuff in a class with a different name such as algebra, geometry, or calculus. Some students know trig from hobbies.

can you prove
$$\frac{2\tan^2(x)+2\tan(x)\sec(x)}{\tan(x)+\sec(x)-1}=\tan(x)+\sec(x)+1$$
do you know what it means?

I know that it's a function and have a vague idea of how to solve for x, but beyond that no.

you probably need to take trig then, do you know what the law of sines is?

Nope but it sounds familiar. My school has a class called algebra geometry trig 1. The same for calculus.

I never took "trig". I took precalculus and college algebra in high school and started in calc 1. Whether or not you should take trig depends on what you covered in geometry and precalculus class. You should be fine taking precalc instead of trig in my opinion.

jbrussell93 said:
I never took "trig". I took precalculus and college algebra in high school and started in calc 1. Whether or not you should take trig depends on what you covered in geometry and precalculus class. You should be fine taking precalc instead of trig in my opinion.
I agree, provided that the precalc class has a significant component on trig. If it doesn't, I would highly recommend taking trig, which gets used in most math classes at the calculus level and above.

if they are offering trigonometry 1 or calculus 1, then I would guess that in reality, this is advanced trigonometry, and basic calculus. For example, I can't imagine someone learning about the differential equations for simple harmonic motion, before learning what is a sine function.

So anyway, my main point is that they have probably made the courses such that they are both around the same 'level', so it would hopefully not matter which you choose. And if this is the case, just choose the one you are interested in (or perhaps the most useful one to you, if you have a particular job in mind after college).

Having said all that, if you want to make sure, then you could look at the syllabus, or ask one of the teacher/professors? And briefly look up some of the stuff, to see which you would prefer to learn first.

If you could not prove the trig Identity, then I would advise either precalculus or trig.

1. What is the difference between Calculus 1 and Trigonometry 1?

Calculus 1 is a math course that focuses on the study of change and rates of change, while Trigonometry 1 is a math course that focuses on the study of triangles and their properties.

2. Which course should I take first, Calculus 1 or Trigonometry 1?

It is recommended to take Calculus 1 before Trigonometry 1, as Calculus builds upon the concepts learned in Trigonometry and will make it easier to understand.

3. Do I need to have a strong math background to take Calculus 1 or Trigonometry 1?

While having a strong foundation in math can be helpful, it is not necessary to have a strong math background to take these courses. As long as you are willing to put in the effort and seek help when needed, you can be successful in these courses.

4. Will I use Calculus or Trigonometry in my future career?

It depends on your career path. Calculus is used in many fields such as engineering, physics, and economics, while Trigonometry is used in fields such as architecture, surveying, and navigation. It is important to research the requirements for your desired career to determine which course would be more beneficial.

5. Are there any prerequisites for Calculus 1 or Trigonometry 1?

Most colleges require students to have completed Algebra 2 or its equivalent before taking Calculus 1 or Trigonometry 1. Some colleges may also require students to have completed Pre-Calculus before taking Calculus 1. It is important to check with your college or university for specific prerequisites.