The Measurement Problem: the return :-)

In summary, there is a thread on the s.p.r. forum closely related to the (now defunct) thread on the Measurement Problem. The discussion is focused on decoherence and there have been some excellent points made. One question that has been brought up is whether "knowledge" or change plays a role in wave function collapse. The person asking for opinions on this topic respects the expertise of the person they are addressing.
vanesch
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I would like to draw your attention to a thread, running on s.p.r., which is closely related to what has been discussed in the (now defunt) thread on the Measurement Problem:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=75679&page=1&pp=15

cheers,
Patrick.

Physics news on Phys.org
vanesch said:
I would like to draw your attention to a thread, running on s.p.r., which is closely related to what has been discussed in the (now defunt) thread on the Measurement Problem:

cheers,
Patrick.

Thanks, I'll check it out tonight.

vanesch said:

cheers,
Patrick.
Thank you sir. I've been following it since your post. The discussion on decoherence has been excellent.

I would like to know, if I may ask, what is your take on the discussion? Do you see any merit to "knowledge" (or change in) being part of the wave function collapse?

I'm just trying to learn here. And I respect your opinions in this.

Regards
Don

What is the Measurement Problem?

The Measurement Problem is a fundamental issue in quantum mechanics that deals with the apparent contradiction between the probabilistic nature of quantum mechanics and the deterministic nature of classical physics. It concerns the act of measurement and how it affects the state of a quantum system.

Why is the Measurement Problem important?

The Measurement Problem is important because it challenges our understanding of reality at the smallest scales. It also has implications for technology and our ability to accurately predict and control the behavior of quantum systems.

What are the different proposed solutions to the Measurement Problem?

There are several proposed solutions to the Measurement Problem, including the Copenhagen interpretation, the many-worlds interpretation, and the pilot-wave theory. Each of these theories offers a different explanation for the apparent contradiction between quantum mechanics and classical physics.

How does the Measurement Problem relate to the concept of superposition?

The Measurement Problem is closely related to the concept of superposition, which is a fundamental principle in quantum mechanics. Superposition refers to the ability of a quantum system to exist in multiple states at the same time. The Measurement Problem arises when we try to understand how a system in superposition becomes a definite, measurable state upon measurement.

What are the implications of the Measurement Problem for our understanding of reality?

The Measurement Problem challenges our traditional understanding of reality and raises questions about the nature of consciousness and our ability to observe and measure the world around us. It also has implications for our understanding of time and the role of the observer in shaping reality.